XXVIII - Car Doors

Chapter Twenty-Eight

I walked straight into the Abattoir, and got strange and surprised looks from the few vampires that actually noticed me. A few moments later, I was standing beside Elijah, who did a double take from Marcel to me. He seemed surprised to see me there.

"Rose, perhaps you should go back, you still don't look very well," he said, speaking of my incredibly pale complexion compared to my usually slightly tan one.

I shook my head. "I'm fine, Elijah. Don't worry about it."

"I'm sorry for leaving you," he said.

"Don't worry about it, I'm happy you did. Now you're one step closer to finding Hayley."

We had been whispering to each other, while Marcel continued his little rant. "And imagine my surprise when I realized that the Original family of vampires had taken up residence."

Klaus stared at Marcel with stone cold eyes, and Elijah folded his arms across his chest. I clenched my fists tightly, and Marcel continued after seeing our tensed up stances and smiled.

"Your girl Hayley answered the door. We exchanged hello's, that was it. You don't believe me? Look around," he said, gesturing around the building. "Hell, I'll even help you find her. But the question I'd ask is... If Hayley isn't here, then where is she?"

I clenched my jaws together, rolling my fingers in my palm to prevent myself from breaking them. My emotions were still out of check, yet another surprise after effect of that damned hex. I was fighting my own thoughts, which were simply urging me on to tear out Marcel's heart.

The other vampires dispersed, taking the unconscious bodies of the two previously fighting ones along with them. I felt Diego's eyes on me, but ignored him as much as I could.

We took a seat in three chairs around a small table, waiting patiently for Marcel to come back. Well, not so patiently. After a few minutes of comfortable silence, Elijah spoke.

"Not the most attractive community, are they?" Elijah asked.

I giggled, while Klaus just smirked. "You do realize that they can hear you?"

"You do realize I don't care?" Elijah said, smiling.

Marcel and a few other vampires came in. Marcel smirked at us, looking directly at our noble little buddy here. "You know, Elijah, I liked you better in that box," he looked to Klaus. "But Klaus, my sire, you, I owe the world. And I always show respect to my elders. If your special lady friend is missing, you could benefit from the help of a witch. Since Rose seems to be a little under the weather lately, no offense," he held up his hands in defense before continuing. "And since I control all the witches in this town, I'll grant you one little locator spell," he gestured behind him, where a very annoyed-looking Sabine Laurent was being dragged into the building. "Sabine's the best guide in the quarter. You need to find someone, I guarantee you she's your girl."

I narrowed my eyes at Marcel as he spun around to leave. "And where are you off to?"

"I hate to cut this short, but the sun's comin' up soon. My night walkers need to get inside and I've got a city to run. I'll leave you to track down your lost sheep," he said, then turned and walked away.

"Can you find her?" Elijah asked Sabine.

"I can try," she replied, seeming unsure of herself.

We all went into a separate room, where Marcel had brought out a few items for us to find Hayley with. I, however, was beginning to feel something. It was down in my gut. I could sense something... Bad. It wasn't evil, it was more of an action. It felt like someone had just stuck a pin into my gut. It didn't hurt very much, but it was still an odd feeling.