70: This Brother

"Hey Sadie," he says with the same grin I remembered.

He stands from the chair and in two seconds flat I'm running towards him and suddenly in his arms with his waist in a death grip.

"You're stronger than I remembered," he says laughing.

"Well I grew up," I respond and pull away finally.

It obvious when I look at him that he grew up too. The last time I saw him he was wearing glasses too big for his face, he had the appearance of acne starting to fade, and his shirts were beginning to get to small for his large body. He had just graduated high school, on his way to college while I was just beginning my last year of elementary school. He was the boy next door since I was born and he was also mine and Sarah's babysitter for whenever my parents left. Nathan has always been the brother I never had and the son my Dad has always wanted.

Nathan went to law school to become a big shot lawyer and shortly after he left so did his parents. They retired in Arizona which gave Nathan no reason to come back to us. We hardly kept in touch other than the occasional Facebook messaging and Christmas cards. My sister however has probably stalked his every move. She's been in love with him since before I could remember but of course she always been too young for him.

Nathan holds me at arm's length and says, "I still see the little girl who would fling her poop at me."

I laugh and smack his shoulder. "I was only a baby. When will you ever let that go?"

"When it stops haunting my dreams," he teases.

"What are you doing here Nathan? You should be out in the world serving justice and telling lies," I joke.

"Har har very funny Bunny," he grumbles. "I came back for your birthday. You didn't really think I would miss your big eighteenth birthday did you?"

I twist around to face my Dad who's smiling and leaning against the arch way of the dining room. "Did you bring him here?"

"Happy birthday kiddo."

"Your father made sure it was clear to me that I was to be your present but that you couldn't unwrap me," Nathan says.

I let out a laugh and when I stop my Dad has already disappeared, probably grumbling and sulking.

"He brought you here because he thought I didn't have any friends. Right," I ask Nathan.

He winces and moves to sit back down in his seat. He gestures for me to sit next to him. "Your dad told me that you've been going through a rough time. Mind spilling the beans?"

"You've always been so protective of me," I say smiling.

"Well of course I have. If I wasn't there to protect than who would be?"

"Sarah," I laugh. "She had just as mean a punch as you did."

"We made quite the team didn't we," he asks smiling.

"You two could take over the world if you wanted."

My mom walks into the room and hands each of us a plate filled with delicious food.

"Thanks Mrs. Jefferson," Nathan says, already digging in.

She stiffens slightly, catching both of our attentions before she's spinning on her heels and walking out the door.

Nathan sends me a quizzical look. I brush it off and say, "She's just sick."

Nathan nods his head in understanding before diving back into his food. He could never say no to my Mom's pancakes.