Chapter 6

Okay I'm going do this.  I know I'm being incredibly stupid right now by thinking of going to the mermaids, but I can't help it. My curiosity always takes over and the mermaids are just so tempting. And if it is true that the mermaids will drown me, then that's my fault.  This is a risk I am willing to take.

I stood up and slowly started making my way towards the mermaids.  I could see the beautiful details on their tails as I got closer. The closer I was getting to them, I didn't know what I was feeling.  I felt so....carefree.  Standing just a few feet away from the mermaids, the three stuck their heads out of the water once more, and all of their full faces were seen clearly.

They all looked so magical, so mystical.  To get an even better look at them, I knelt down on a rock and examined them.  I can't believe it.  I am sitting in front of mermaids.  The mermaids and I didn't speak.  All we did was stare at each other.  I was just so amazed.....even though they did look a little bit scary up close.  Then the mermaid in the middle of the two, leaned in towards me.  She extends her arm and lends me her hand.  She wants me to hold her hand?

I hesitated, for I didn't know what to do at this point.  The mermaids just seem so friendly, even though they are creepy looking.  But all I could hear was Pan's voice in my head reminding me of how mermaids are dark. But then the thought of Pan and how is a jerk, conquered my mind.  Alright, I have made my decision.

Slowly moving my arm towards the mermaid, my hand meets in hers.  The mermaid's skin was silky smooth, but the skin was very cold. It felt so weird, but I liked it.  My pleasant thoughts all of sudden got snapped when I felt the mermaid's strong grip around my wrist.  Then without warning, I was pulled to the water.

The mermaids drag me down to the deep, blue waters.  I try fighting them off, but I couldn't.  They were far too strong.  I attempt to scream, but that only made them drag me deeper.  But then something strange happens,  they let me go.  Something mustve scared them off because they swam away in a flash when they saw something from a distance, but I was still deep in the water.....and I can't fucking swim.

I try to swim and make my way up, but I just keep bringing myself deeper.  My breathing becomes nothing but a struggle and the pace of my heart beat was only increasing.  I could feel the water filling up my lungs.  Just when I thought I was about to die, I felt a person's muscular arm grab me by the waist, lifting me up.  I was finally lifted out of the water, making me gasp for air.

Now back on the sand, I cough intensely a couple times to catch my breath, before looking at the person who rescued me

When I felt my heart sooth, I turned around and see who rescued me.  It was Pan.

He saved me?  He really did tell me the truth?

"I told you to be careful Amanda!" Pan yelled furiously, his whole body soaked in water.

"I know!  I couldn't help myself!" I said in between a few more coughs.

Pan coughed as well. "Why didn't you listen to me?" He questioned, bending down to face me.

"I don't know.  The mermaids were just so tempting and I didn't know if I can trust you." I replied in full honesty.  I really didn't know if I could trust Pan.  I mean, who trusts a person they just met?  Especially a person who is making you stay on an island against your free will!

"Well do you trust me now?"

"Not really." I answered truthfully. I don't trust him. He may have been right about the mermaids, but there're more to trusting someone than just them being right.

"But I'm...sorry" I added with a sigh.  I can't believe I'm saying sorry to him, but it's true that I should've listened to him.

"It's alright." He responded gently.  I ignored his gentle response and occupied myself by squeezing the water from my shirt.  "Amanda, how come you couldn't get out of the water?" Pan asked out of the blue.

I cursed silently, but made sure Pan didn't hear me.  Ughhh shit.  I hate telling people I don't know how to swim.  It's really embarrassing.  My mom never taught me how to swim and I would be too scared to go to the deep.

"The mermaids tried to drown me duh."  That wasn't a good excuse, but hey it's better than saying I can't swim.

"They just brought you deep down in the water.  You could've swam to the surface when they let you go."  Damn it.  He got me with that one.  Guess I have to tell him.

"I...uh--" I swallowed thickly as Peter glanced down at the lump I had just swallowed in my throat. "--I don't know how to swim." I admitted.

"Really?" He laughed and smirked maniacally.

"Shut up you little shit." I joked.  It really bothers me that I told him I can't swim.  I basically told him a secret because the only people who know I can't swim are two people.  My mom and myself.

"I just find it funny that you know how to use a sword and know how to fight, but you don't know how to swim." He grinned.

"I know I'm weird." I shrugged.

"Which is what I like about you."

His comment gave me mixed emotions, and I didn't like it. "Thanks?"

"You're welcome."

After I squeezed most of the water from my hair, I finally got up from the ground. As soon as I was on my feet, Pan grabbed my hand. "Come on, I'm gonna take you somewhere."

Before I could even ask where we were going, he yanked me to follow him.  I decided not to ask him, since he seemed so focus on where we were headed to.  I suddenly realized our hands were together.  God his hands are soft.  That's weird to think, but they are.

After a couple more paces, Pan stopped.  In front of us was a large pond with waterfalls and little cliffs all around.  Boy, this looks way better than the mermaid lagoon.  But why did Pan bring me here?

"Why are we here?" I asked.  I glanced down to see that our hands were still together.  I instantly let go.

"We are here to swim.  Don't worry, no mermaids are here." Pan answered.  Really? I spent all my time drying myself and once again, I don't know how to swim!  Did he already forget?

"I told you that I can't swim.  Remember?" I reminded Pan.

"Yes I remember." He blissfully laughed.

"Then why are we here?"

"I am going to teach you how to swim." My stomach twirled at his words.  Seriously? No this isn't happening.  I don't want this to happen.

I shook my head and waved my hands in disapproval.  "No thanks."

"Look, you have to learn how to swim some day.  You might as well learn today." He insisted.  Pan does make a good point.  I have to learn someday.  So why not today?  Plus, the water in the pond seems cool and refreshing at the moment.  You know, I'll just go for it.  This could be the day where I can actually accomplish something.  What could possibly go wrong? 

"Okay fine.  I guess I'll give it a shot." I said nervously, scratching my head.

Pan simply gives me a smirk in response. His smirk is kinda sexy.....I hate it so much. That's when my thoughts got obliterated.  Because out of no where, Pan took off his shirt.

Oh God, maybe this was a bad idea.