Chapter 49

"So... yeah," I mumble, leaving the key of the apartment on the nearest surface. "You know the place, you've... already been here. I, uh- make yourself at home and, yeah, you can stay here while I'm gone too."

"Niall." She calls while I make my way to the bathroom, leaving the door open because I'm only washing my hands. Freya appears at the door frame a second after, sighing as I continue looking everywhere but at her. "Niall, come on. You haven't talked to me since this morning."

This morning was only three hours ago. We pretty much hopped on a bus to Chicago right after breakfast- after the incident during breakfast, that is.

"You know what?" I begin, after turning the water off, "I think I'm gonna take a nap, didn't sleep that well last night. I have... I have a lecture at six though, so wake me up around five, yeah?"

"Okay. Okay, you don't have to listen to me but I'll talk. I need to get it out." Her voice doesn't become any quieter when I walk past her out of the bathroom, assuring me she's right behind me in the empty apartment. Where's Louis, anyway? "I freaked out this morning because I'm-I'm scared, okay?"

With another small sigh, I actually come to a halt and turn around to face her. For the first time I'm confused rather than frustrated. "Scared?" I raise my brows, "The fuck are you scared of? Planes? Heights? You could've just told me that instead of-"

"No, no-" It's Freya's turn to sigh as I start making assumptions, "I'm... I'm scared of meeting your mother. There. I said it."

After a minute of just staring at her, while she stares at her feet with her arms crossed over her chest, I lean against the wall to my left, a small smirk playing on my lips. "You're scared of meeting my mother? You're scared of meeting- why would you be scared of meeting my mother?"

Being scared of meeting my mother still isn't a reason to ask me if I'm fucking crazy after I asked her to accompany me to Ireland, I'm just saying.

She slowly leans her head to the side, like she can't believe what I just said- I honestly feel like I'm missing something. "Um, think about it?" She says, furrowing her brows, "She's an old-fashioned Catholic lady who's never been with anyone but her husband and the only way she thinks people should spend their twenties is by either going to college and earning a degree and-and becoming something in life, or getting married and having fourteen kids and serving their family for the rest of their life."

Freya takes a deep, shaky breath, looking around, pretending she doesn't notice that I'm staring at her with baffled eyes. I had no idea she actually listens to me when I talk about my mum. "And now, look at me," She continues, not lowering her voice at all as she stretches out her arms, "I am a bisexual Jewish pole dancer in her mid twenties that's never seen a glimpse of college nor does she want children in her life. Not to mention I ran away from home at 17 when I found out my father wanted to get me exorcised when I was a child, hail fucking Satan! And stop fucking laughing, Niall."

"I'm sorry," I manage to choke out, bending over and supporting myself against my knees in laughter. I wouldn't blame her if she beat my ass for this. "I'm just- yeah, I mean-" I pause to take a breath, standing back straight in the process, "Yeah, she's-she's traditional. And chances are she won't like you because you're... well, you're slightly less traditional."

"See, even you know she probably won't like me, I don't know why you even-"

"No- let me finish," I grab her arms, partly to get her to stop talking, mostly to pull her closer and give her no choice but to look at me. "I love you. Okay? You know that. I know that. She knows it and I feel like she chooses to ignore it or something, 'cause she probably thinks we won't last. And I want her to meet you because- as far as I'm concerned, you're here to stay."