Chapter 1.5 | Kidnapping

Discussing Magdaline never failed to get people to run away. No one had so much as seen my rather affable and friendly pet, because the second I brought up her species, normal people ran for the hills. I always told myself that if anyone ever expressed anything besides disgust when Magdaline came into view, I'd be their friend. It's pretty much an impossible task.

I waited for a person to run out of my bathroom and put a hole through my door escaping, but the place was quiet. Hmph. I wasn't brave enough to look into the bathroom myself, so I went to my desk, opened the terrarium, and let Magdaline walk onto my hands.

"Here she comes," I threatened. I didn't let go of Magdaline though. I didn't want her to get stepped on.

A man stepped out of my bathroom, and I almost dropped Magdaline. He was tall, well muscled, with pale white skin and short blonde hair. His eyes were a bright blue, and he wore a dark green sweater and tan slacks. He looked like he belonged in an Ivy League school. I just caught the smell of leather and cinnamon from my place perilously far away from the exit.

He reached out, and stroked Magdaline with a long thin finger. I jumped back, and yes, almost dropped my dear friend on the ground. Fortunately her little legs had a secure grip, and she didn't fall when I plastered myself up against my door.

"How did you get in here?" I demanded. "Who are you?"

The man's lips twisted into a sort of smile. I kept Magdaline secure in one hand, and groped behind me for the door knob with the other. If I managed to make it to the front desk alive, the student volunteers there were going to get an earful.

"My name is Damien, and I came to collect my property." He ran his eyes over my body as he spoke. Yup, I was done for. Dead. Buried in the park somewhere, and all because I listened to a bunch of stupid people.

My heart seized up in my chest, but I managed to grab hold of the door knob. "Property?" I squeaked.

The smile grew. He stepped forward, and I stuck Magdaline in my pocket and turned around in shameless terror to fumble with the lock. In the agonizing seconds it took me to make my fingers work and get the door unlocked, Damien grabbed hold of my shoulder.

My reaction was automatic. I grabbed the hand, and threw Damien over my shoulder, the way I practiced with my invisible partner every single day. To my surprise, he rolled easily off my back and crashed against the door. I scrambled backwards. Damien stumbled to his feet, and I grabbed hold of my diary, raising it high above my head in order to deliver a bone crushing blow to his head. He didn't even flinch, even though the sound of several hundred pages smacking him full in the face was almost as loud as him hitting the door. He picked me up without another sound, tossed me in bed, and rolled me diary, cockroach and all, into my blanket.

For those who don't know, it is remarkably hard to move when someone has you rolled up in a blanket. My arms couldn't move, my legs couldn't do more than a mermaid style kick, and I was terrified that Magdaline was getting crushed. Damien picked me up and tossed me over his shoulder.

Fine. I might not have my arms or my legs, but my head poked out of the blanket, and my lungs were doing just fine. I opened my mouth, keyed my vocal cords for the highest possible octave, and let out a scream loud enough to shatter brick.

Damien bent over, retrieved a dirty sock from my floor, and stuffed it in my mouth.

I gagged on the taste, swallowed my scream, and thrust my tongue at it to try and expel the nasty, dirty, piece of cloth. By the time I managed to get it free, Damien had whisked me out the door and through the hallway. We passed half a dozen people, walked right past the front desk with the security guards, and not one person said a thing about a well-dressed man walking around with a blanket-swaddled woman over his arm.

"This is a dream," I told myself, relieved.

"No, we're just invisible," Damien assured me.

"YOU!!" I scream at the two at the desk, wondering why I hadn't bothered to get their names. "Help me! I told you someone was following me!"

Damien chuckled. "They can't hear you either. Now be quiet, before I find myself another sock." He pointed at a profusely sweating boy, his gym clothing smudged and dirty. "His sock, maybe."

I shut up. I waited till we were a safe distance from the sweating boy, and then I bit Damien's ear. My sharp little teeth cut straight through the pale pink flesh and through to the other side. The moment his blood touched my lips, I regretted my decision. His blood tasted a lot like nail polish remover, and it burned my lips. Damien howled and chucked me, blanket and all, about a hundred miles into the sky.

Or maybe just the height of the building. In any case I let out yet another scream, and hoped that now that someone would look up and see my blanket trapped figure flying through the air and rescue me before I pancaked face first into the ground.

A shadow flicked across the moonlight, and then another shadow, and I found myself floating a hundred feet above the ground, propped up on each end by two more men.

"Sorry about him," said one.

"We won't let him hurt you," said another.

"This is definitely a dream," I muttered. The taste in my mouth, however, suggested otherwise.

Damien lifted off from the ground, rubbing his ear. From what I could see, it had completely healed up.

"What's the matter Damien," flying-person-number-one cooed. "Is the human child too strong for you?"

"She bit me!" he said.

I smirked a little bit. I couldn't help myself.

"Never mind that," flying-person-number-two said. "Just open the portal. We've got to get back before Malcum catches us."

Damien muttered something I couldn't understand, and took a key from around his neck. He slashed the air with it, and a door appeared. He stepped through it, and the two men, still clutching me, passed through also.

We fell six inches or so onto a marble floor, and one of the men who held me captive, did me the favor of unrolling me. I jumped to my feet, patting my pocket vigorously to see if Magdaline still lived. She hissed at me, and I hastily withdrew my hand.

"Who are you?" I demanded of the trio. "What do you want with me?"