Nostalgia

This is chapter 6, please read on!

---

All souls in the hall stop their activities. Those who are sitting, rise to curtsy. Those who are standing turn around to kneel. As the Emperor, followed by Third Prince and Seventh Princess, walks on the red carpet with gold trimmings towards his throne, Empress and Consort Shine don't let the opportunity to slip and approach the Emperor, greeting him.

"Greetings, Your Majesty." The Emperor spares no look at them and heads straight towards his throne, while the two women rise to follow him. His two imperial children, however, stop in their tracks and greet all his concubines and consorts before heading for the seats reserved for them, side by side.

"My beloved Consort, how's your health?" The Emperor stares at Consort Lana who's curtsying deeply. As she pulls the edges of her lips into a curve out of exhilaration, she voices up.

"I'm extremely healthy, thanks to the herbal medicine which Your Majesty asked the Imperial Physician to send me. However, Your Majesty... The people are..."

"Oh right, you all may rise."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." The hall roars loudly as everyone synchronizes to thank the Emperor. The Empress and Consort Shine settle down on their respective seats, putting on unhappy facade.

"Today is a joyous celebration for General Wales' victory at the north! So here is a cup of wine. General Wales, I toast you!" Emperor pours himself a cup of wine and raises it at General Wales. Smiling lines are forming at the edge of his eyes, signifying his gradual aging. General Wales rises with his own cup of wine, bowing at the Emperor before drinking it.

"Thank you, Your Majesty." He says.

"Your Majesty, General Wales's victory is our Empire's pleasure, our fortune, which symbolizes the great leadership of Your Majesty. For our Empire's further future successes, this cup of wine, please let me toast you." The Empress' previous unhappiness magically distinguishes, replaced by an almost innocent smile which earns a scoff from Consort Shine.

"Good. Such good comment, I like it!" The Emperor laughs, toasting with the Empress and gulping another cup of wine down his throat.

The Empress gestures for her lady-in-waiting, whispering into her ear as the latter nods and disappears from the hall. Moments later, when people are busy laughing and joking, a group of the palace musicians and dancers reveals themselves from beyond the entrance, dressed in colorful and elaborate outfits. The dancers easily synch their movements while everyone else admires the art and beauty of their dance. I notice that Crown Prince, especially, is smitten by the dancers. They are donned beautifully and fluttered around like a butterfly, so gracious yet fragile but these features of them just make you want to possess them.

Suddenly, an old woman steps into the hall supported by a younger woman who seems to be her lady-in-waiting. The musicians and dancers notice her presence and stop their activity, kneeling and bowing.

"Greetings, Empress Dowager." Everyone else stands up to bow at her again.

Seems like today's the day of kneeling, bowing and greeting.

"Mother! What brings you here? You should take care of your health!" The Emperor hurriedly steps down the stairs, approaching his mother aged about sixty to seventy.

"Today's the Emperor's celebration of victory. As the Emperor's mother, I should come and celebrate with you too." Being carefully supported by her lady-in-waiting, Empress Dowager limps her way carefully towards another empty seat set up in emergency by the Empress' underlings. At the same time, I can spot Consort Lana's trembling hands and her blinking eyes.