Chapter 1

This is the Magic Capital, the City of Geffen. Magic users gather here to become wizards. This is the heart and soul of the country. Wizards play a huge role in maintaining peace and balance throughout the land. They are powerful beings that can control and manipulate any physical and chemical phenomenon. Everyone looks up to them.

In order to become a wizard, first, you must be capable of using magic. Second, you have to finish the rigorous training in Vermillion's Magic Academy. Being able to use magic is dangerous-- a power that can do good and can cause harm. A magic user must be properly trained and know the great responsibilities of being a wizard.

You see, not everyone can use magic. Only few are bestowed of magical abilities. It's a gift. You are born with. You either have it or you don't. It's not something that you can learn or obtain.

However, I was an anomaly. I was the very first magic user from Izena, a farming village in the south. I lived a modest and humble life before knowing my magical capability. My family and the generations before me were farmers. They were born and died as farmers.

I always think that I will be just a farmer myself.

The day had finally come that made my life turn upside down. I could have never imagined in my mere existence that there would be another possibility for me--a chance to have a different life.

Every year, a group of wizards come to our village to check if the boys ages fifteen and below have developed magical abilities. Only males are capable of harnessing magic and if you pass the age of fifteen, you can no longer develop it.

All the boys in the village gathered in the town square. We were properly lined up in order for us to be checked. One wizard held a crystal looking ball and one by one he placed the ball near each of us. When it was my turn, the crystal ball lit up. The wizard looked surprised.

Wizard: Look at what we have here, this god forsaken place has a magic user.

He laughed really hard and signaled the other wizards to come over.

_____________

Right after that, they gave my parents a formal letter of acceptance for me to attend Vermillion's Magic Academy. My parents didn't really have a choice but to accept. It was either they would hand me in voluntarily or I would be taken by force. Nonetheless, they were thrilled to have a son capable of such a thing.

Becoming a wizard places myself higher in society.

Even though I was sad to leave my family to come and live here in this big city, I knew that they only wanted the best for me and I would not let them down.

And now, here I am, in the City of Geffen, being mesmerized by huge buildings and magical technology. This place is amazing! I wish my little siblings can see this. It's a whole new world, totally different from Izena. I'm getting really excited. I can go sightseeing while looking for the school.

Wait, hold on, let me see where the school is at...I've been walking aimlessly on the streets.

The direction says that I have to take a transporter and I will be teleported to the school. What the heck is a transporter? I don't even know what it looks like.

I'm lost.

I tried asking around but the people here seemed too busy to be bothered. The sun was about to set and I was getting scared. Being alone in this big city was intimidating. No one could help you but yourself.

I continued to walk while trying to find the transporter. I got tired, stopped for a bit and decided to sit on the curb. I was about to cry...while holding onto the acceptance letter.

Harumi: This is bad...

I started tearing up.

Stranger: Hey, are you alright? What's wrong?

Harumi: Um...um...

I was about to cry and I forced myself not to. My eyes couldn't hold it in any longer and I eventually let it all out.

Stranger: Is everything alright? Don't cry...I'll try to help you if my abilities permit it.

He handed over a handkerchief and I took it. His comforting words made me stop crying. He looked very concerned. That was the first time someone in this place was nice enough to notice me... that I was in trouble.

Harumi: I'm lost.

He noticed my acceptance letter.

Stranger: That's a Vermillion's seal, right?

Harumi: Yes, I was supposed to go to this academy but I just don't know how to get there. You see, this is my first time in this city. I was trying to follow the directions and it said that I have to use a transporter...I don't even know what a transporter looks like.

He gave me a gentle pat on the back.

Stranger: I see...It's fine. You'll know how the city works and you'll get used to it.

He gave me a huge smile. It was genuine and sweet that I even forgot about being scared.

Stranger: From what I can tell, you are a new student. I'm a student there too. I can take you there. But first, let me introduce myself. I'm Yuu Usagi, Class A Wizard Year 2. What's your name?

Harumi: I'm Harumi Rei and I am from Izena. You're...a...life saver!

I was so happy that I cried again. I impulsively hugged Yuu. He was surprised and caressed the back of head.

Yuu: It will be alright, Harumi. I'm here for you.

After I realized what I did, I pushed him back and apologized. I didn't mean to give him a hug.
Harumi: I'm sorry.

Yuu: It's okay. You were probably just a bit overwhelmed by everything and that's alright. If you need another hug, I'm pretty open.

He laughed.

Yuu: Hmm...a farming village, huh? Don't be scared anymore, Harumi, just follow me!

He smiled and grabbed my hand and we started walking.

Yuu is probably a year or two older than me. His face has a mix of sharp and soft features that makes him quite good looking. He is well dressed with his wizard cloak and uniform.

We arrived at the transporter and Yuu showed me how to use it.

The transporter looks like a small platform and when a person steps on it, different destinations show up in front of you and you choose where you want to go. Transporters are scattered throughout the city for ease of access. It is one of the main mode of transportation here in Geffen.

How the heck would I know that?! They should have also put on how to use a transporter in their instructions! Supposedly, it was common knowledge here--I'm such a bumpkin.