IV

Camila followed the obnoxious sounds of her mother's voice and found herself downstairs once more. She needed to talk to her, or at least do a little bit of convincing. She wasn't going to be forced to reside with a girl that basically hated her. With her mind made up, she addressed her mom. The woman was sprawled out on the couch with her feet on the table, talking on the phone. Camila stood to the side and waited until their conversation ended. Sinu glanced at her for a moment, and Camila took that as her cue.

"Do we really have to stay here?" Camila sighed as she draped herself over her mother.

"This is Burberry, honey. Get up," Sinu instructed her and smoothed out her jacket. "Now, what were you saying?"

"Do we have to stay here? Because Lauren hates me and I don't want to be here if-" Camila started to share with her mother, but was interrupted by Sinu holding up her hand when her phone rang again.

"Take her shopping, she'll love you," Sinu advised her distractedly as she was in the process of checking the caller ID.

"No she won't. And you can't buy friendships..." Camila deadpanned and looked at her mother in disappointment. Their conversations never lasted long. This was probably a record.

"Sure you can, how else would you make friends?" Sinu posed incredulously and bopped Camila on the nose before putting the phone back to her ear. Their conversation was over.

Camila pushed away from the couch sadly and went on her way. Where she was going, she had no idea. She obviously wasn't welcomed anywhere near Lauren. Her mom didn't want to be bothered. She didn't necessarily want to be around Michael or Clara, due to a non-established level of comfirtability. And her father just kind of made her uneasy most of the time. She felt really alone at the moment.

While she didn't have any real friends, she did associate herself with one other heiress. She didn't fit the stereotype as drastically as the others did. She was tiny, but full of attitude. Camila didn't even really like her that much, but she was the closest thing to a friend that she had, besides her boyfriend. After retiring back to her room for only the second time since she'd been here, Camila called Ally.

"Hello?" Ally answered the phone in annoyance.

"Hey, it's Mila," Camila announced.

"Oh, hey..." Ally responded uncertainly.

"Hi. What are you doing today?" Camila asked cheerfully, then wished she hadn't.

For the next hour or so, she had to endure Ally rambling on and on about how she hated her parents for taking her car keys and forcing her to stay home after she'd snuck out. Then, as if she felt that Camila was out of the loop, she proceeded to fill her in on the gossip of the island. Then she started to tell Camila all about these 'totally cute' pair of earrings she bought, followed by her petty boyfriend troubles. Camila wanted to hang up, but didn't have the courage. Eventually, Ally took care of that for her. Camila was blankly staring at the phone she'd wasted a good hour or two on. Why didn't anyone around her want to talk about real things? Things that mattered? All of these people were plastic and had no depth whatsoever. The only person that seemed to possess a little and offer more conversation than gossip practically hated her.

As if on cue, Lauren appeared in the doorway. Camila was idly standing in the middle of the hallway, and Lauren begrudgingly stood before her. The older girl had just gotten an invitation from her closest friends to go swimming at the community recreation center. When she informed her mother that she was going, Clara was dismayed to find out that Lauren had no intentions of taking Camila with her. After enduring a reprimanding session, she dragged herself on over here to ask if Camila wanted to come - only because she was being forced to. Clara said that if Lauren didn't bring Camila, she couldn't go at all. It sucked.