Chapter 31- Time to make a stand

Harper exited out the lifts, it was just before eight in the morning. Fumbling with her car keys, she struggled opening her bag that she dropped her bag onto the floor.

"Errg." She grumbled, wiping her hand against her forehead as she bent down to retrieve all the fallen items that had come out from her bag. It took a while putting back all the stuff, though she intended to take her time meaning she didn't have to face her boss yet. She was so distracted, she didn't hear the footsteps approaching her or the fact someone had crouched down next to her, until their hand clasped onto hers. Harper felt the warm touch of someone's hand on hers, the familiar territory. Instantly she pulled her hand away, getting up quickly, that as they did, she bumped her head into their forehead. She held her hands to her mouth gasping as James slightly smirked holding his hand to his forehead.

"Was that intended, Miss Daniels?" He said as he continued to smirk. Harper shook her head slowly, her heart betraying her as it beat faster, even her lips beginning to curl. James removed his hand away from his forehead. "Are you okay?" He asked. Harper didn't say a word, she couldn't quite understand the words coming from his lips, but appeared to be entranced by the way they moved.

"Miss Daniels?" He muttered, his tone much softer. Harper blinked parting her lips as his eyes trailed to her forehead. "Does it hurt?" Harper shook her head stepping back as she picked up her bag again. James just stood there watching her before she brushed her hands against her skirt. "Sorry, Mr Brewer. My fault, I didn't see you there." She could almost see how his composure tensed and the softened expression he had seemed to deflate, instead he seemed more annoyed.

"Well watch where your going next time then." He said, tidying up his cuffs on his right wrist before heading towards the lifts. "I have a meeting, I need you to come soon after you've sorted yourself out and start making notes. Understood?" Harper sighed in defeat inside but on the outside just nodded with a polite smile. It seemed like he was going to tell her something before he went all cold on her again, perhaps it was how she reacted she thought. Or maybe he wasn't going to and she just nearly fallen into his trap again with his witty charm.

During the meeting, she couldn't stop fidgeting and swapping which leg she would cross over. It was very boring, James appeared to have no enthusiasm whatsoever in the meeting, the people around the table were however stuck to their chairs, they eyes glued open to how he strived around the room with his aggressive hand gestures. His manner of tone was quite intimating. The notes she had made with what little suggestions were given out filled the entire page, though none seemed to please James as he snapped out to one innocent woman who pushed back her glasses.

"How can this new drill be more effective? What is wrong with the one we have now?" He snapped. She moved closer to the table flicking through her notes, her fingers trembling as she stuttered back. "Erm...w-well...the new drill will be...more e-e-energy efficient." She coughed, moving a piece of paper to the centre. James cocked his eyebrow, Harper watched in trepidation feeling for the woman as sweat was forming upon her brow. The woman and the others jumped as James slammed his hands on the table.

"I need more evidence, what you have shown me is not enough. Clarify this with your department boss, get more evidence before I approve this action. We're are supposed to be running a billionaire business here not anything lower than that. You're all dismissed." He ordered, removing his jacket as he sat back down in a huff. Everyone around the table started packing up soon dispersing off towards the door leaving only Harper alone with James. His eyes were covered by his hand as he sat rather openly, his legs open as he just sat there in silence. Harper risked moving as she slowly got up, James then moved his hand away slightly. "Miss Daniels, can I ask you something?" Harper gulped nodding as she moved closer towards him. He clasped his hands together. "Am I unfair? Cruel? Hmm? Was I little too aggressive?" Harper parted her lips watching as he brought his thumb to his lips. He cocked his eyebrow waiting for a answer before he snapped. "No answer? Then I guess it was fair enough and it should be, I owe an wealthy business and that tardiness won't be accepted. That means you have..." He glanced at his watch. "Three minutes to grab me a coffee. No tardiness, Miss Daniels. I'm timing you." Harper nodded, didn't have time to dwell over what just happened there but made her way to the door, she looked back once, James remained seated his thumb resting against his lips as he glazed outside.

What was going on she thought. There was no time, she could he was being dead serious, there was no amusement upon that face of his. Harper braved the stairs instead of the lifts as she grabbed her purse off the side of her desk before heading back into the lift. From what it looked, she only had two minutes left, she wasn't going to do this she thought but tackled soon out into the crowds as she hit reception. The receptionist was rather too busy on the phones, not much of a task for her than what Harper had to do.

Coming back from the coffeeshop, she held the cup close to her to not spill any as she rushed through the crowds. In the lift, she tapped her shoe with impatience closing her eyes for a second, this was bizarre she thought who gave their PA three minutes to grab coffee and get back here on time. It was already past the limit he gave her but what made it worse was the amount of stops the lift took as more people got on, even the delay as one got their briefcase stuck in the lift doors. Harper had helped push it back out before sighing as finally the doors reached the top floor. James was sitting on her desk playing about with the same sticky notes he seemed to have a obsession with the last time, he looked up tutting as he shook his head.

"Late. Ten minutes you took." He said. "I'll have no excuses from you. Miss Daniels, do you know why you had this job?" Harper didn't know where all this was going but nodded. "Yes, sir." James clasped his hands together. "Because you spilt coffee over me. A rather unexpected event, no one has ever made a fool of themselves to me before. Then I gave you a second chance to prove yourself, as my PA, I expected you to embrace the challenges." Harper bit down on her lip meeting his eyes as he got off the desk and carelessly threw the sticky notes onto her desk, he began approaching her before halting in front of her and tilting her chin to face him. His touch tingled as he deep brown eyes looked into hers. James had to hold back the urge of kissing her right now but didn't resist stepping back from her. Instead he muttered near her hair. "I'm giving you one last chance, Miss Daniels." Harper gasped as his one hand slid around her waist. The intensity of just being near him was making her heart race, it felt like she was going to explode. He slowly teased nuzzling into her neck, Harper couldn't find herself fighting back, it was like she had missed this all too much. His breath upon her neck was unsettling, she felt hot all over and was driving her hormones crazy.

"Friday night." He muttered."I'll prove how what was between us was right." Harper closed her eyes for a second, her breathing catching up with her. "I-I-I...can't." She said, still breathless. James clenched his free hand as he spoke softly. "Why not? Is this not what you want? Me?" Harper gulped. "I just can't." James sighed inside removing himself away from her quickly, he couldn't understand why she would reject him. Harper felt bad as he raked his hair in frustration. "Thanks for the coffee. Miss Daniels." He strived towards his office, taking one last glance at her before stopping as his hand rested on the door handle. "Your work is on the desk. One last chance, Miss Daniels." He muttered before moving in.

"James..." She whispered to herself, her heart calling out.

By the end of work, Harper took one last look to the door, a tear threatening. What did he mean, he would prove Friday? What did he mean she thought. She headed for the lifts reaching down to reception where she saw Elliot smiling who was grabbing a snack bar from the vender machine. Instantly he came over, bringing her into a hug, Harper needed one so she tighten her grip afraid she might collapse.

"Hey, you okay?" Elliot said in between the hug. Harper just nodded closing her eyes as tears prickled. When she opened them, she instantly regretted the position she was in as her eyes meant James'. He stood just by the lifts before placing his hands in his pockets, then turned back in.

He saw how she was around him. Her arms wrapped securely around him. That could have been him he thought. He let her go too easily, now he was regretting how badly he treated her. But worst of all, the feeling of being jealous angered him, how dare his feelings make him feel like this. He knew that at that moment, he was going to do everything with his power to get Harper back, even if the one part disagreed wanting the selfish need to remain a player.

THANKS FOR READING!!!! Hoped you enjoyed this chapter. Please VOTE, COMMENT and FOLLOW for more updates. You guys are the best so thank you for all your lovely support, it means a lot. So how is the book going so far?

Guys you seriously don't know how much it means from when you guys vote or comment, it really helps boost my confidence and stop my doubting that this book is crap. You guys rule and I hope you are enjoying the book.

Thank you as always.

VAMPIREFANGSRULES xxx