Chapter Seven

Finnick helps him up, and I embrace him in a hug. I kiss him countless times.

We continue to walk a few miles. Finnick is carrying Mags on his back. It's getting hot and I begin to feel dehydrated.

"I need a break." I say to Peeta.

Finnick agrees. He puts Mags down, and she sits under a shady tree.

I sit myself next to her, and just watch our surroundings.

"We need water." Peeta says. "Katniss can get dehydrated easily and we need to keep her and the baby healthy."

That's when I see the parachute. We had a sponsor.

Peeta sees it too, and grabs it.

"It's a metal thing," he says.

I start to chuckle. "It's a spiel, you dork." 

"Oh," Peeta says with a frown.

"Here." Peeta says as he hands me a piece of paper.

It's a note from Haymitch.

"Don't get too stressed out, it's bad for the baby. I talked to the doctors. I'm rooting for you, sweetheart." -H

I smirk. It'd been too long since I'd been called sweet heart by Haymitch.

Finnick pounds the spiel into the tree with a rock, and immediately, there's a steady flow of water.

Everyone lets me go first, since I'm drinking for two.

The water is warm, but at least it's hydrating us.

"We should stop and sleep here," Finnick says.

"I'll take first watch?" I say immediately.

"Katniss," Peeta objects. "You need to get some rest."

"I don't care," I say. "I am not risking anything.

Finnick gives me a confused look, and rolls his eyes.

"Suit yourself." He says. He lays down next to Mags and immediately falls asleep.

"I'll watch with you," Peeta says. I want to talk anyway.

Mags eventually falls asleep also, and then it's just Peeta and I.

"How are you feeling?" Peeta says.

"Fine," I say as I rub my abdomen. "I can't believe how much I'm showing already."

"And you haven't had any sickness?"

"No. Just dehydration. And I feel really weak."

Peeta just nods. "Get some rest."

I finally agree. Peeta leans up against a tree, and l lay on his lap. I fall asleep on his chest.

***

I wake up to the sound of Finnick screaming. I look to my right and there is a white colored fog coming our way.

I put my hand out to feel, and it automatically blisters my skin.

"Run!" I scream. "The fog is poison!"

Finnick hurriedly pick Mags up and we run as fast as we can.

It's harder for Peeta to run, considering the fact that he has a robotic leg.

I clasp his hand, and he tries to keep up. He just can't do it.

That's when the fog hits him. Finnick hands Mags to me and grabs Peeta.

Peeta's lifeless body dangles from Finnick's back.

We trek through the forest, but my pregnancy gets in the way again. I have another shooting pain through my stomach.

I try to fight it off, but it worsens.

"Finnick! The baby, it's hurting me. I don't know what to do!" I cry.

"I can't carry them both!" Finnick replies back.

Mags jumps off of my back. She goes to Finnick and places a kiss on his lips, and runs into the fog.

We hear a cannon, and we keep running.

The pain begins to be unbearable. "I can't take it!" I screech to Finnick. I drop to my knees.

I watch as the fog comes closer. I prepare for my death, but it stops.

"The force field." Finnick whispers.

That's when I black out.

***

When I wake up, there is a lake of water in front of me. Finnick and Peeta are up and moving.

"When Peeta woke up, we carried you here. The water helps with any blisters from the fog.

I slip into the water, and there is instant relief.

"We should get going." Finnick says.

"We're going to go to the cornucopia. There may be some supplies or food. We also need to find more people."

"Why would we need to find people?" I ask.

"To kill them." Finnick says without emotion.

I just nod. I wasn't in the mood to argue with Finnick Odair. And he was right, we needed to kill as many people as possible.

We start to travel to the beach. Some tears are shed from Finnick. I felt terrible about Mags, but there was nothing I could do. I need to protect Peeta and this baby.

As we approach the beach, we stop to rest in the sand. It feels so good to sit in somewhere semi-cushioned.

Peeta rubs my back to try to put my breathing in line again.

"I shouldn't have this many problems this early on." I say.

"It will be okay, I promise. You probably shouldn't be fighting off people trying to kill you and running from poisonous fog either." Peeta says.

"I know. I just seems like something isn't right."

Peeta and I are cut off by Finnick screaming someone's name. It sounds familiar, but I don't remember clearly.

"Johanna!" He is whaling.

I look over, and I remember. It's Johanna Mason, a girl from district eight. She was the one who undressed in front of Peeta and I in an elevator and she called Beetee and Wiress "nuts and bolts."

But then I see who her allies are. Beetee and Wiress themselves.