8 - psychology 101

The Midnight Bean will never stop looking like a whimsical cottage in my mind. When I walked inside this morning ready for my training I felt like some of my anxiety was left at the door. It makes sense that is filled with a lot of students, and yet is quieter than my old store ever used to be. I could get used to this.
Marco was the shift that was at the bar today, wearing a dark brown shirt under his black apron. When I walked in and he managed to look up from the drink he was making he promptly put it back down and said:

"She lives! Come back here, Elizabeth, we'll get you squared right away."

Squared right away meant going over some online training as well as giving me an apron, black like his, and a plaque to write my name on with some chalkboard markers they provided. We went over some of the basic rules of the store, safety tips, and all the other things I had become used to at my old store.

Pay is eleven an hour, which is more than I was making at my last job, but I would also only get twenty or fewer hours a week so I'll be working less time. It still worked out for me since I would be using the time not working hopefully studying for class, and who knows maybe I'd be visiting Midnight more than the Library when I needed to write my class papers.

"Okay, now put your apron on, we're going to do quick basics and then I'll let you lose with Jen, sounds good?" He asks, closing up a tab on the work computer.
The back is fairly roomy, not as big as you'd hope it to be but with enough storage for syrup bottles, two milk fridges, a small pantry for other things needed, a small three-compartment sink, and the manager's desk. If anything it was around the size of my room and managed to use the space more efficiently. A steel door with a red bar leads to the back of the store and the trash bin.

It's always an interesting feeling to be behind the bar in a coffee shop, or really anywhere in the food business, I imagine. You are always exposed to the customers, like a zoo animal in a way, eyes always expecting something from you as they wait for their drink. I've had my fair share of experiences with angry ladies with questionable haircuts and even more strange sunglasses.

"This is Jen, or Jenny if she really likes you." Marco nudges the barista who was leaning against the counter. "Jen this is Liz, she's going to be joining us four days out of the week, which we're still working out."

"Hi," Jen says, she's taller than me, her braids up in a big up-do and with a black visor, "nice to have people on board."

"Awesome, I am going to go on my ten, but if you could help Liz get the layout of the store and where things are, and if you could also take over the front I would love you forever," Marco says, already walking back towards the door leading to the back of the store.

"I knew you were going to strand me again," Jen says, moving up a shoulder.

"What, no Jen I love you."

"Leave before I throw a cup at you."

"I survived last time."

"My aim is getting better." She takes a cup from a dispenser near us and Marco replies by holding his hands up close to his chest and turning towards the door behind him. Jen shakes her head, she has a septum piercing and her dark skin is so clear I wish I could ask her for her skincare routine. "Marco plays a lot but he's one of the better shifts in the store – don't tell him I said that."

"Don't worry, I won't," I assure her, a smile forming on my lips. It's good to know they get along around here.

Jen gives me the rundown of the store, from the espresso machines, which I watched some videos online on how to use, to the blenders, and a small description of the menu on the point-of-sale computer. We also go over the popular drinks, usually iced lattes for students, though a lot of people love drinking blended drinks as well.