Chapter Eight

Damian

I lingered outside her bedroom long enough to hear her first sob before moving to join my brother down stairs for breakfast. I had hoped to have her join me so we could discuss the terms of our marriage. There were a few things I felt I needed to openly clarify for her to avoid future conflict. She needed to enter this union with her eyes wide open. Unfortunately, the little spit fire managed to cross my brother, which was never a good thing for anyone. I was quite shocked and relieved he hadn't hit her, I wouldn't have been able to stand by and allow that. He wasn't the type to hit women but he didn't tolerate disrespect so anything could have happened. It had taken a great deal of effort to not step in and save her from him overall. She needed to learn, but I had a feeling that ordering her around was not going to accomplish the task of assimilating her to this new lifestyle. Knowing this, I couldn't exactly say why I had stopped my brother from handling her, whether or not it was to spare her or assert my own authority in my home wasn't clear to me. Honestly, it wasn't a thought I wanted to further explore at this point in time either.

I paused at the kitchen's doorway and took a breath to compose myself before entering. My brother was already seated at the table when I stepped in. He met my gaze directly as he observed my entry.

"Are you certain that is the woman you want to make your wife, brother?" He asked the minute I sat down.

I sighed, "You asked me that question when I first told you of my decision, when you called me last night to say you were coming today and when you got to the door this morning," I pointed out, "I think you'll find that my answer has not and will not change."

He watched me silently for a moment before speaking, " Madre il suo amore." He grinned cheekily, dropping the rough facade he had adopted for his line of work.

I knew my brother to be fun loving and a good sport, we use to get ourselves into all manner of trouble as children. That had to tone down when he assumed control of the family "business", however it never totally disappeared which was why we remained close even after I left Italy to pursue my education in America.

"Yes, mama will love her, she always did want us to find women who were strong willed." I agreed with a fond smile.

It really was true though, Amelia was definitely a lot like my mother personality wise; absolutely crazy. I just needed her to learn not to defy me in the company of others, then I'm sure we would get along. Or at least I hoped we got along, we needed to get along if this was going to work. There was too much at stake for the both of us to have this fail. It just had to work.

"So do I have your permission to inform the family of your impending nuptials?" He asked with leashed eagerness.

I knew he wanted to go tell all our cousins that I had fallen into the "marriage trap", as we use to call it, it didn't even matter what the circumstances were.

"Not quite yet I haven't had a chance to discuss everything with her, and you know once they know the entire tribe will be descending upon my house, I need to prep her for that as well."

He nodded in agreement and we finished breakfast in an amicable silence before moving on to my office to discuss other business.

Lia

I will not cave, I will not cave, I will not- Ohhh God I'm sooooooooooo hungry, I bet they have pizza hut and red lobster and Chinese restaurants on speed dial! Maybe I should-

Girl no! Get a grip we cannot yield to the enemy!

But I'm huuuuuuuuuuungry!

WE WILL NOT CAVE!

The internal battle between pride and hunger raged on while I did my best to numb myself to everything. It was Sunday afternoon, I hadn't eaten since Friday night at that restaurant he took me to in Manhattan. The food was amazing. Worst possible thought to have right now.

Ugh! I groaned through another hunger pang.

This was it. I was dying, I could even hear the bells of heaven ringing as I got closer to the light.

Ring ring. Ring ring. Ring-

Wait a second, heaven bells sure sound a lot like my cell phone's ringtone. I cracked an eye open and focused for a second, realizing that it was indeed my phone and not heaven.

"Well damn," I grumbled as I used the last of my energy to get to the phone in my hand bag which was tossed by my other still packed bags at the closet door.

I can't believe I forgot about my cell phone this whole time. I thought as I retrieved the device from my hand bag as well as a half melted chocolate bar.

Ohhh sweet lord! Yessssssss!!!

I remembered the phone and answered it just before it stopped ringing, "Hello?" I asked, my unused voice cracking from the unfamiliar activity while I fumbled with shaking fingers to remove the wrapper from the piece of candy.

I finally got it open and stuffed half the soft bar into my mouth.

"Yo bitch- Ohhh my God Lia, why do you sound like you've been punched in the throat?" I felt joy flood my body at the sound of my best friend's voice, as well as the sweet sensation of the delicious chocolate melting against my depraved tongue.

I'm saved!!!!

I closed my eyes in relief and pleasure, totally forgetting to answer Naia.

"Hello? Lia? Ohhh no! You've succumbed to your injuries haven't you? How will I carry on!?" She bawled dramatically into the phone, causing me to instinctively roll my eyes at her antics.

"No Naia, I'm not dead, or at least not yet, but I will be if you don't do exactly as I say," I told her solemnly, listening to her sudden in take of breath, " the fate of the world rests on your shoulders." I said as I finished the chocolate which only served to take the razor edge of my hunger and whet my appetite.

"I'll do it!" She said immediately.

"Good now listen carefully," I instructed as I then proceeded to give her Damian's address and a list of food items from my favorite restaurant to bring to me.

"And you promise to explain everything to me when I get there?" She asked for the third time.

"Yes, yes! I promise! Just pleeeeeease get here! I'm dying!" I begged, I was exaggerating but not a whole lot.

"Ok good! Be there in an hour! Hang tight boo bear!" She said before ending the call.

I put my phone back in my bag. I didn't worry about how she was going to get in. I mean this was Xanaia we were talking about, my best friend and partner in crime. This starvation was about to come to an end. I got up from my spot on the floor and did a half dead happy dance. I decided to get dressed and play nice so I would be downstairs when she arrived. I found a cute little summer dress and went to the bathroom to burn the hour I'd have to wait for the Calvary's arrival.

Ha! Damian Giordano won't even know what hit him!