Chapter 20

"I am." Louis finally spoke once he had, for the most part, dried himself off. He still looked like a mess though, and that caught plenty of people's attention around us. I was surprised that Louis was so honest, but even a little more angry, if possible. It meant that he had no remorse for doing it, and for that he was even more of a fucking asshole.

"You think so? Really?" I asked him for clarification. It was almost like Mallory wasn't even there while we argued. I could see him in my peripherals and he was relaxed, leaning back in his chair while sipping on his own glass of un-stainable white wine. Good choice; I couldn't throw that at him if I suddenly wanted to.

"Yeah, I mean, I probably should've called or said something so that you knew where I was. I didn't expect to see you here and so I didn't exactly have an apology prepared. But I can imagine how worried you must have been, thinking I was dead and all." As he spoke, he continued to wipe his reddened napkin onto his shirt, although he looked as if he'd never once done laundry in his life.

The fact that he figured I was worried set me off. I mean, yeah, I was worried, but why did I figure I was? Yeah, we had sex a couple of times but I didn't love him. Marlee worried about him too, so why didn't he acknowledge her? Fuck boys. But what confused me the most was that he was acting like he didn't even realize what had happened. He spoke nothing of why he was eating dinner with Damien Mallory and nothing of where his shitload of cash was.

"Yeah, we were so worried that we abandoned our search for you and jumped at the chance to talk to Mallory." I turned to the other man at the table, his cold eyes looking up to me at the sound of his name. He straightened up a bit and set his glass down, looking as if he was finally ready to explain what the hell was going on.

"Well what a coincidence it is that we're both here, huh Jancer? Makes things a whole lot easier for you." Mallory offered as my blood continued to boil. I was somewhat upset now that I had thrown Louis' wine all over him, because all of a sudden I could really use a drink.

"Yeah, it'll sure make slitting both of your throats a whole lot easier. Or maybe I'll just put arsenic in your food; it's more discreet, you know?" Louis' eyes grew huge again, looking just as shocked as when I first walked in. For a second I thought maybe he was genuinely this surprised, but he was a damn good actor for fooling me for the past week or so.

"Wait, what? Wh-why do you want to kill me? Jance, baby, calm down this is a public place." His voice grew deeper and his words held a little more power as he grabbed onto my wrist. I looked down and shrugged his hand off, his cool flesh leaving mine just as the small butter knife that had wedged it's way into my grasp did so too.

"Are you really playing stupid with me? We know about the money, you fucker! And I'm sure it's just a coincidence that you and Mallory are having dinner here. So, explain all that and then maybe I'll change my mind, Louis." I grumbled, crossing my arms to signal that I was finished. By now, I was really yearning for that drink.

"What money? And Mallory offered after he got me out of that fucking building. I didn't know you'd be here. You know that I wanted to take you to dinner but this is not even close to anything I had in mind." Louis was starting to get upset, meanwhile Mallory looked as amused as ever. I was starting to get what was going on. As usual, Louis had no fucking clue. I guess I should just assume that from now on. And as for Mallory: well he probably knew too much for our sake.

"Wait, hold on. You," I turned to Mallory, sounding disgusted as even my voice couldn't stand to believe what I was trying to say. "You, traitor to your country, helped Louis? Why?" I had pretty much left all attention for Louis in the dust once a new issue popped up. I mean, just a few weeks ago Mallory was trying to have him murdered, and now he was going against his allies to make sure that Louis stayed alive and well. It definitely made it seem like it had something to do with the money, or that was what he wanted me to think.