Five

Peggy's PoV

She awoke with a start. The alarm clock beside her bed was shouting at her to get up, telling her it was 6:30am. Her arm was draped over her face, protecting her eyes from the light that entered her room. She removed her arm from her face and fumbled blindly for the clock, eyes still closed.

Once she had successfully turned it off, she rolled onto her stomach, putting her face into the pillow. She groaned, still emotionally drained from the events of the night before. After a few minutes, she climbed out if bed and shuffled into the bathroom, leaning against the wall to keep her upright. Once inside, she put her hair into a shower cap, making sure it was all in before taking a quick shower to wake herself up.

After her shower, the Agent went to her very small walk-in closet, wrapped in a towel. She grabbed her navy pencil skirt, matching blazer, a white blouse and some tan tights before getting dressed. She grabbed her small bag of makeup before going back into the bathroom. The mirror was still a bit steamy from her shower so she grabbed the hand towel and cleared the rest of it away, so she could see what she was doing. She applied some makeup, focusing on downsizing the bags under her eyes and applied some mascara, trying to get rid of the sunken-eye look. Satisfied with how she looked, she strolled out of the bathroom, feeling a lot better.

Peggy walked straight ahead, to the kitchen and grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl. She stood there for a few moments, just munching her apple, until she realised she was missing something. She turned around and had a look at what it could be. She walked over to the bathroom room again, which was to the left of the main door and had a look in. She continued to the bottom left of the apartment where the couch, coffee table and bookshelf were. She still couldn't figure it out. She walked back to the middle of the room where the round dining table was. Her bag was hanging on the back of one of the chairs and she hadn't touched that since she came home, so it couldn't be that. She looked towards her bedroom, hands sprawled on the table and she leaned on it. She tapped her foot, thinking about what she could be forgetting, as she took another bite of her apple. She looked down, and figured it out.

"My shoes!" She thought as she hurried into her room. "I'm a total mess this morning," she thought with a groan as she pulled on her navy kitten heels.

She finished her apple, throwing the core in the bin, before grabbing her handbag and headed back into the bathroom. She quickly brushed her teeth, before checking her hair. She made a few adjustments and when she was happy, she took her red lipstick out if her bag. She quickly and precisely put it on, before walking out of the bathroom. She checked her bag for everything she needed and grabbed her coat from the rack beside the door. She walked out of her apartment and locking the door, ready to face another day.

*

She hailed a cab from the street just outside building, remembering how hard it had been for Scott the night before. She smiled at that thought as a cab pulled into the curb. She climbed in and was hit with the memory of the rest of the night, making her smile drop instantly. She told the driver where she wanted to go and tried to focus on what she had to do at work.

The traffic was terrible. Even more than a usual Monday morning in New York City. It had taken ten minutes to travel a distance that should have taken five. She looked at her watch, tutting at the time. It was 7:45am. She needed to be there at in ten minutes in order to get to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters by 8:00am. Peggy had a look out the windscreen at the traffic. It didn't look like it was going anywhere soon. She sighed and took out some money, handing to to the driver.

"This will do fine. Thank you," she said gathering up her bag.

"Are ya sure, ma'am? I can try an-"