CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

NATHAN'S POV

The first Collins I met was Christina Collins, Richard's wife. From what I knew, she was the one that took care of hiring the "service people", like she called it. The first thing I learned from her was that she was a very strict, stuck up woman. I didn't expect anything else. I had worked with wealthy families before and the wife was almost always the very stuck up one. I didn't blame her. It must be hard not to become stuck up when you suddenly had so much money.

"You must always remember that you are here to protect, and nothing else," she had told me that day as I sat on the chair of her husband's office and she walked in circles around me as if waiting for me to do something inappropriate.

I nodded. "Of course, ma'am."

"You will be under my watch for the first few weeks, don't think your job is secure here." She gave me a hard look with her blue eyes. "I will be watching."

I didn't know what to say so I just nodded again. I was assigned to be her bodyguard for that whole week and it wasn't as bad as it could have been. She tried to make my life impossible by giving me endless orders, sometimes I felt more like a slave rather than her bodyguard. But I had worked with her type so I was able to surpass it and just hoped they would change me to another family member.

In that first week, I met Nicholas Collins, second to oldest, and his wife, Rachel who was the most humbled, at least to the workers. She even cooked for everyone sometimes. She had always been really nice. I also met Derek, once. I just saw him. Word was that he was always traveling, being a really famous model, he lived in Paris. I also met Colton, who lived in the mansion with everyone else back then. He was engaged and seemed very happy with her.

On the Sunday, exactly a week after my first day, I was called into the office by Mr. Richard Collins himself. To say I was nervous was an understatement. Who didn't get nervous when you get called into your boss's office? Richard was a big, important looking man. He was sitting behind the desk with a laptop opened in front of him, and he was talking on the phone when I walked in. He was busy promoting his new movie back then so I hadn't met him until that day.

I was standing up with my hands clasped in front of me, waiting.

"Sorry about that," Richard said as he hung up. "It's Nathan, right?"

I nodded.

"Please take a seat," he said waving to the chair in front of him. I took a seat and waited for him to continue. "Word is that you were in the army, is that correct?"

I had not put that in my resume so I was quite surprised when he mentioned that. I guess they really did the whole background check really well. I nodded. "Yes, sir."

He smiled, a warm smile you wouldn't expect from such a powerful man. "My respect goes to you."

I smiled at him. "Thank you, sir."

He looked at me, thoughtfully. "I have a daughter, my youngest, have you met her?"

I shook my head. "No, sir."

"Hannah," he smiled. "She is my baby girl, my most beautiful treasure. I don't know what I would do if something were to happen to her. Do you understand?"

I half smiled. "I do, yes."

"I want you to become her protector." He sighed. "Recently, the cameras have been following her everywhere. I know I can't do anything about that but I need to protect her. I don't want anything to happen to her. I believe that you are suitable for the job. Am I wrong to believe so?"