chapter fifteen

15 x let's go ride in a jet

>>

The quinjet was packed with Avengers, which is to say that the usual few of us who could fly were inside, too. This was because there was a last-minute briefing that needed to be done . . . also because it was easier to rush into the jet and just go that it was to allow Tony any kind of time to get out.

Needless to say, it was a tight fit. It would've been even tighter if we'd had Bruce, Natasha, and Thor, and it was with that in mind that I was biting my tongue and doing my best not to complain of close quarters.

I was leaning against a part of one of the inner arches, Pietro hovering around me, when Vision spoke up, hushing all of our minor conversations. "Where is it we are going?"

Wanda was the one to engage in a follow up question soon after, "And what are we doing?" At this, she looked to me, arching a brow inquisitively. 

"I volunteer Megan to explain," Bucky said, and just like that, all eyes were on me.

I shot Bucky an annoyed look. "Thanks, Buck. I really appreciate the spotlight."

He shrugged, opting for silence, though a slight smirk tugged at his lips before his face features resorted to the same expectant expression as everyone else's.

I sighed, reaching subtly toward Pietro and grabbing his hand. His thumb brushed over my knuckles automatically before he squeezed my hand, the action helping me to calm enough to collect my thoughts and focus on a starting point. "Okay. Red Skull contacted us when we were trying to contact you guys," I said, looking pointedly at Tony, Steve, and Rhodey, "and proceeded to play on Bucky's nerves long enough that JARVIS picked up a trace on their location."

Tony interrupted me then, "I'm already there in your story, shortstop," he said from his position in the jet, his face plate down. Apparently he'd been doing his own research while everyone else was talking. "Anything else of import you'd like to add, or what?"

"Depends, did anyone want to know what it took to get everyone to show up in the same place?" I asked, arching a brow as I looked around the jet.

"Mad leadership skills via Megan," Peter volunteered. He and Evangeline were seated in one corner of the plane, both of them with expressions on their faces much akin to children at Christmas -- something that hadn't changed since they'd boarded the quinjet.

"Megan has leadership skills?" Sam asked teasingly, flashing me a jesting smile. "Who'd've thought."

"Me," Wanda volunteered, raising a hand. Vision was nodding from beside her.

"Same," Evangeline said, still grinning broadly. I was beginning to wonder if her cheeks were going to start hurting. 

"I think Meg does rather well leading," Steve agreed.

"I was just joking," Sam said then, spreading his arms and giving everyone a pointed look. "No need to jump down my throat all at once."

"I didn't," Tony pointed out. 

"No, because you're off in la la land doing who knows what," Rhodey pointed out, rolling his eyes. His face plate had been up since I had seen him, and he was surveying all of us with slight amusement since boarding. 

"Probably playing Tetris, or something," I retorted sarcastically.

"Better than Galaga," Tony remarked then, before his face plate finally came up. "No, I was double checking our location."

"And why is that?" Steve asked.

"Because what J got said that Skully's in Alaska," Tony informed all of us. "I was making sure that wasn't a farse."