Chapter 16

"If I get sick after this, I am not going to be happy." Lily sniffled as they headed in from a late Care of Magical Creatures lesson two weeks later, trying to find cover from the rain. It had suddenly begun to downpour mid-class, scaring the creatures they were studying and causing Professor Kettleburn to postpone their last class of the day and sent the students back up to the castle.

Luna smiled amusedly at her friend, leaning into Sirius's shoulder when he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her close. The wool of his jacket was damp but warm, and Luna didn't hesitate to wrap her arm around his waist, the closeness something she was slowly becoming more accustomed to. The past two weeks had been blissful, quiet, and completely Death-Eater free, to everyone's relief. Despite the occasional rainy day, everything had been perfect.

"You'll be fine, Lily. You can stop by the Infirmary for a pepper-up potion if you're truly worried." Remus advised, wiping at some of the rain water that still dripped down his nose. Lily made a face, giving her head a quick shake.

"I think I'll take my chances with the cold- I'd rather not have smoke coming out of my ears."

"Smoke comes out of your ears?" Luna asked, nose crinkling up at the idea. Sirius looked at her amusedly.

"Have you never had one?"

"No. Have you?"

"Twice. Once when I was five, and then again in second year. It's not that bad, really- As long as you don't try to cover your ears up with earmuffs. James learned that the hard way." Sirius looked over to James then, grinning. "Didn't you?"

"Let's not talk about it." The other boy said decisively, cheeks going a faint pink when Lily let out a laugh, green eyes watching him with delight. Sirius laughed as well, obviously getting a kick out of it.

"You should've seen his face. He turned bright red-"

"I was in pain!"

Peter chimed in helpfully at that point. "There was crying too, at one point."

"It hurt!"

"I'm sure it did, James." Remus said, reaching up and patting his shoulder kindly. "However, it was rather amusing."

"You guys are horrible people." James groaned, reaching up and rubbing at his eyes from behind his glasses. Luna smiled sympathetically at him, using her free elbow to nudge his side.

"I'm sorry you were in pain."

He looked at her then with a smile, obviously appreciative of some kind of support. "Thank you."

Luna grinned faintly. "It does sound kind of funny though. Just a little bit. Or a lot."

James looked aghast. "Luna!"

"That's my girl." Sirius chuckled, pressing his lips to her temple.

"Not that this hasn't been fascinating, but would anyone mind going to dinner?" Remus cut in, glancing at the watch on his wrist. "We missed most of lunch, and while I'm not certain about the rest of you,  I'm starving."

"I am too." Luna chimed in quickly. The others agreed, and soon the six were heading to the Great Hall, attempting to find enough open seats for all of them among the busy table. They were lucky enough to find a place by the end, and Luna found herself seated between Sirius and Lily, while Remus, Peter, and James had rounded the table to sit across from them.

"So happy everything is enchanted to stay warm." Lily was saying, appearing to be breathing in one of her rolls. Luna watched her amusedly, eyebrow raised.

"You alright there, Evans?" Sirius asked from beside her, grinning faintly. "If you and the roll need a private moment, we can look away."

"Shut your whore mouth, Black."