I. Chapter 5 | Part 2 - Stone

Stone squinted at the cell phone buzzing on his desk in his office.

He had been writing up a report and was caught by surprise when the cell phone started ringing next to him.

They rarely ever got calls since they had no use for phones in the first place. They did have to occasionally interact with humans, particularly those in governmental roles, and that was the whole reason they got a cell phone.

He picked it up and looked at the screen, wondering who Aubree was. He pressed the green button on the screen and pressed it to his ear. "Stone."

"Um, hi," a hesitant woman's voice said. "Is Gwen there?"

Jumping up from his seat, he practically dropped the phone.

It's her! Shit! [Gwen!] He mentally yelled, reaching out through space in search of her.

He looked at the phone in alarm. As her voice flitted up to him.

"Hello?"

Say something you imbecile!

Even though his hair was tied back in a ponytail, he ran his fingers through the loose strands that escaped.

Why was she calling?

His mouth turned dry as a desert and he licked his lips as he brought the phone back up to his ear. Why was he nervous all of a sudden?

"She's not here at the moment."

[What's up, Papa Wolf?] Gwen's chipper voice penetrated through his mind.

"Can I take a message?" he finished before he mind-linked back to Gwen.

[Are you insane? Why did you give her our number? And where are you?]

[It's my turn to patrol. Don't worry. Gavin's watching over her. I like her. You should try and make it work.]

Stone gritted his teeth together. [You really have slipped into the abyss of insanity, haven't you?]

Gwen's laughter filled his head, and he ignored her. What Aubree said next caught him off guard.

"Well, um, it's kind of urgent..."

Stone's free hand clenched into a fist at her words, while the other gripped the phone tightly to his ear.

Was she in some kind of trouble? Why didn't Gavin say anything? He reached out with his mind in search of Gwen's twin brother, Gawain, or Gavin as he preferred to be called nowadays.

[Gawain. Update me immediately.]

Aubree's words flitted through his mind, and Gwen gasped as she heard them. [What's going on? I'm on my way. Be home in five. Keep me posted.]

He took a deep breath. "Is everything alright?"

"Um, I'd rather talk to Gwen, please."

Gavin's presence entered his head then. [Yes, Father?]

[Dammit, Gawain! What's going on over there?]

Picking up on Stone's tone, Gavin said, [Nothing to get worked up about. Why?]

[The girl, Aubree, she's upset about something. Look into it.]

[...Seriously? Human females get upset about a lot of things.]

[Just do it!]

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "She should be back soon. Would you like me to have her call you back?"