Chapter 9: Emotional Whiplash

When we got to my house, I quickly took off my seatbelt and got out of the car, pushing the door shut. I pulled out my keys and was about to unlock the door when John grabbed my hand and turned me around so I was facing him. He looked nervous. "I just couldn't um.." I cross my arms against my chest, not sure what he was trying to get at."You couldn't what John?" He takes a couple of steps towards me till we were only a breath apart. "I couldn't let anyone see you like this!" He whispered harshly against my ears. I angrily tried to push him away from me, but he didn't budge! "What exactly do you mean...?!" I said, still fighting for my personal space. "...and what's wrong with how I look??!!" I yelled in exasperation.

John snapped, he banged his hand against the part of the door that was right by my head. He banged it so hard that his fist actually went through the door!

"John! What's wrong with you!" I exclaimed. His head snapped in my direction, and our eyes collided with each other. His eyes were such an intense blue that I was completely surprised he didn't shift because it was obvious that John's wolf was quickly taking over the situation. "WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!!" He growled loudly, then took a deep breath and took a step closer to me, caging me in with his hands on both sides of my head, so he could whisper lowly in my ear. "You went out tonight without any protection because you wanted to have fun, putting yourself in danger, and you are asking what is wrong with me?"

With every word he whispered in my ear I grew angrier, and I could not withhold it any longer.
"I DON'T NEED YOU TO PROTECT ME ALL THE TIME, IT'S NOT YOUR JOB!" And in a quieter voice, I said, "So stop acting like it's your personal burden." I look down at my feet, desperately wanting to run away from the intensity of this conversation, but John still has me caged between his body and the door. I can't get away unless he wants me to.

"Look at me," he said softly, I shake my head, not wanting him to see the tears in my eyes.
"Please," he whispered, and his voice held so much desperation in it I couldn't say no, so I slowly lifted my head till our eyes connected with each other.

"Protecting you has never been something I saw as a burden Claire, It can't be, because you and I are two halves of one whole, I feel lost when I don't know where you are, and there is no way I'd be able to breathe if you weren't on this earth. Claire, you mean too much to me, for me to ever even consider you a burden. So don't think about it as me protecting you, but as me keeping myself sane because if something ever happens to you, my wolf will take control and no one would be safe."

Still staring up at him, I placed my hand on his cheek, which instantly calmed him down, and in a breathy voice, whispered "OK, thank you".

I start to turn around to get into my house, when John reached out and grabbed my hips, and pulled me into his muscular chest. He leaned down till his lips were an inch from mine and whispered "One more thing" in a husky voice and then he captured my lips in a kiss. One of his hands stayed rested on my hip, pulling me even closer, while the other slid up to tangle itself in my hair, gently pulling on it to lift my head up, giving him better access to my lips, allowing him to deepen the kiss when I gasped in a surprise. He literally kissed me stupid, when he finally pulled away I looked up at him in wonder.

"you just kissed me?" I asked in a breathy voice while trying to contemplate whether the world was spinning faster than normal. John kept me grounded with the hold he had on my waist and when he was certain I could keep my balance, he whispered "Yes I did", his voice as husky as ever. I blinked up at him, and he smiled down at me softly. And ever so slowly he pulled away from me and moved back towards his car. He winked and turned to walk back to his car, and just before he got in, he looked back towards me one more time with so much passion in his eyes I almost fainted, and then, finally drove off. Leaving me standing in front of the door to my house, with my mouth hung open and the inability to move.

It took me about a minute to gain control over my body again, and once I did, I started to walk in a daze towards the forest behind my house. There were too many feelings jumping around inside of me, and when I'm surrounded by nature, my mind becomes clear and I feel as though I can solve any problem thrown at me.

So that's where I am now, heading towards the forest still deep in thought about what just happened a couple of minutes ago, in fact, I'm so deep in thought I completely miss the warnings of the forest, telling me it's not safe to enter. So I continue into the forest. Heading towards a clearing in the center of the forest. When I get there I realize how quiet it is, none of the night animals are roaming about, and the trees are absolutely still, I look in every direction of the forest but there is still no movement. A strong feeling of fear hits me right in the gut, but the strange thing is I'm not the one feeling afraid, it's actually the forest and it is scared for me.

I immediately start walking cautiously back to my house, when I heard rustling in the bushes around me and sticks breaking across the forest floor. I quickly stand very still, not wanting to make any noise, when I notice two scary looking men closing in on me from my left and right and just as I'm about to scream for help, an arm reaches out from behind me and covers my mouth, stopping any sound from getting out.

"Hold still young Luna," says a deep voice behind me, but I don't listen, instead I try to get out of his grasp by kicking and scratching my attacker, but it's to no avail, there are suddenly three pairs of hands keeping me still, holding me captive, and I can do nothing as they bind my hands and feet while keeping my mouth closed with a bandanna. I am helpless. They place me gently on the ground, against a tree for support, allowing me to see all of them a little better.

"Whose got the injection? We need to make sure that her heart rate doesn't give us away" Says a very tall and muscular guy, with hair that sorta reminds me of thor.

"I've got it, Ben," says another guy who either has a little hair or no hair; he reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a case that looks like is used for glasses, or a very expensive pen, and tosses it toward the thor guy.

"Okay pass it here," says Ben, who takes it and starts walking closer to me, making me struggle and squirm, but it did nothing but make them all laugh at me. Ben kneeled down so we were face to face and I could see his face more clearly, but what stood out the most on his face were his eyes, which were a deep brown, and very very sad.

"Don't worry little luna," he says softly moving my hair aside so my neck was bared to him. "Everything will be okay, this will only make you fall asleep and when you wake up, maybe things will be explained to you" and with that, he quickly injects the needle into my shoulder. Immediately my eyes started to droop and I could no longer keep my head up, and within ten seconds, I was out, succumbing to the darkness.