chapter five

You stared in pure shock at the table, feeling your heart pound a million miles an hour. What do they mean, they are watching? And who is they!? Please let there only be one person. Your heart suddenly skipped a beat. They've been here before. You glanced over to the kitchen, staring at the tile floor. They were the one/ones who cleaned up the blood. You grew confused. Why would they do that?

You were startled out of your thoughts by the sound of your cell phone's alarm. You picked up the iPhone 4S and quickly stopped the beeping, taking notice of the time. An hour before your shift at the hospital began. Better start getting ready, you thought, grabbing a towel and heading to the bathroom.

You made sure the door was most definitely locked.

~~**~~

You sat uneasily on the bus, swaying slightly as it jerked to a halt for each person that came on and went off. You brushed a few stray hairs out your face, (getting a bobby pin and pinning them back with your ponytail / making sure they were hidden in your hair so no one would notice). You heard the bus ting and a robotic female voice announce: "Rosevale Hospital up ahead." You pulled the cord next to your head, and watched as the words STOP REQUESTED popped up on the electronic announcer. The bus pulled into the hospital bus stop, and you climbed out.

You jogged up to the hospital entrance, pushing the glass double doors open and slipping inside. You hurriedly signed in, confirming you were here to work, and headed to the ER.

A stretcher suddenly pushed past you while you were walking, a group of medical staff all around it, the doctors shouting instructions. You felt your curiosity peak, and headed over to one of your friends at the hospital, (Friend/Name). "What happened here?" You questioned, watching as the stretcher was wheeled out of sight.

(F/N) glanced over at you before continuing to put medicine in their proper containers. "Some family got murdered a few hours ago," (he/she) stated gruffly, focused on sorting the pills. "When the cops got there, everyone was dead except that kid." (F/N) jerked (his/her) head in the direction the crowd had gone.

You stared at them for a few seconds before returning your gaze to the paperwork that had been put in front of you by the secretary. "Thanks, Naja." You got a nod and smile in return from the German before they returned to typing on the computer.

You picked up a pen.

~~**~~

You sighed in relief as you finished signing the last report, sliding it over to Naja so she could put it in the system. Naja nodded at you, "Thanks," before focusing on the screen in front of her. You were about to go and distribute the medicine (F/N) had sorted when a pale hand grabbed your shoulder. You jumped out of your skin, whirling around and jerking out of your "assailant"'s grip.

Benico innocently raised his hands, giving the universal I surrender pose and staring at you with widened chocolate orbs. "Woah woah, (Name!) Didn't mean to scare ya!" He stated quickly while doing a once over with his eyes at your defensive position.

You sighed, relaxing your muscles and allowing your posture to sag. "Oh, hey Bennie." (A/N: NO NOT THE CREEPYPASTA. Fangirls: Awwwww.) You huffed angrily and smacked his shoulder harshly. "A**hole! You nearly gave me a damn heart attack!"

Benico laughed nervously, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah, but I didn't?" He questioned hesitantly, glancing at you innocently from the corner of his eye. You could feel your cheeks heat up slightly, causing you to huff and glance away.

"What do you want, Benico?"

He seemed to deflate a little at your tone, before a smile appeared on his face. "Oh, Talleri wants us to take each other's shifts today."

You glanced over at him doubtfully. "Really?" You crossed your arms. "Why?"

"I got assigned the new patient, but Ms. T thinks it would be better if (a girl went with a girl, ya know? So you can talk with her about periods and stuff. / you went with them, since your such a softie already, it wouldn't be hard to get along with her.)" Your Hispanic friend smiled innocently.

Your eyes flew wide, and you began to punch Benico's shoulders. "A**hole! You're such an a**!"

Benico laughed and pulled you in for a hug. "But you love me!" He cheered, causing you to blush slightly. He quickly let go and smiled while grabbing the meds from your hands. "Auf Wiedersehen!" He cheered before rolling down the halls on his wheelies. Naja yelled angrily after him, "That's my line, arseloch!"

You deadpanned after he disappeared. "Sometimes I wonder why I hang out with him." You muttered, but knowing you would miss his sweet yet stupid personality if you ever stopped. You grabbed Benico's cart and wheeled it down the hall.

~~**~~

You stopped outside the last room you were supposed to go into, checking the list of names of patients you were supposed to visit. Skimming down the list, you found out who the room belonged to. A Miss Natalie Lopez. You silently pushed open the door.

The plain white hospital room was colorless except for the girl on the bed and the blood dripping into her veins. You shivered as you saw the multitude of stitches, which were the results of needles being stabbed into her slightly tanned skin repeatedly. You figured she couldn't have been more than 15. Feeling slightly nauseated at the sight of stitches all over her skin, you began to replace the I.V. bags filled with morphine and blood and other liquids.

"I know what happened to you."

You nearly screamed from shock when the scratchy voice stated that sentence. You glanced over at Natalie, seeing her stare at you with pained light brown eyes. Her curly dark brown hair was laying across her back like a waterfall, not showing any sign of disturbance.

You felt yourself grow confused. "What do you mean, darling?"

"They want you. And they'll have you." She stated ominously, staring at her hands.

A sliver of fear entered your chest. "What are you talking about?" You asked slowly.

Natalie didn't bother looking up. "I didn't even see him... Before I knew it, they were all dead. My mom, my dad, my little brother..." A small "smile" appeared in her face, looking more like a grimace. "Even my Goddamn dogs were killed." Tears appeared in her brown orbs before she blinked them away. "And those smiles... all of them... sick twisted smiles cut into their skin... forced to smile for all eternity. Never allowed to blink. He cut off their eyelids... and his dog ripped mine to shreads. I couldn't even recognize Luna anymore. Her eyes were popped, her tongue was swollen, her organs all over the place..."

Natalie glanced over at you, unsympathetic when seeing a look of pure horror and disgust on your face. Her next sentence sent a chill up your spine.

"You're next, you know."

"W-what?"

"You're next," she repeated monotonously. "Don't try to escape. They'll just find you again. They have an interest in you. And if they want you, they'll have you."

An emotion grew in her glazed orbs. The first one you had seen from her, and it wasn't a good one. Contempt. "And you'll become one of them."