Through His Eyes [22]

{{Dedicated to @WanderBooks she's a genius *wink*, a great writer and a genuinely nice person}}

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

A week after Rhea had walked out on Floyd, she sat in the same corner booth with a strawberry milkshake in her hands. The seat across from her was occupied by Willa this time, who was sipping at her own glass of chocolate flavored goodness. As much as she loved the food that was served in this little burger joint, Rhea was disappointed in them for serving the drinks before the food, because now they both had half empty drinks and no food in sight.

They'd been silent ever since their drinks had arrived. Rhea watched the people that passed by the window they sat near while Willa busied herself with her phone.

A moment later, Willa put down her phone and asked, "So, did they break up?"

Rhea was startled out of her daydreaming by the question that came out of nowhere.

"Who?"

"Caleb and Yasmine," Willa clarified in a voice that said duh. "Didn't he say last week that they had a fight?"

"Well, yeah. But they've been together for years; they're not going to break up over some stupid fight."

"It didn't sound stupid. It sounded pretty serious and it's always downhill after the college talk."

At that moment, their food arrived and Rhea refrained from mentioning how Willa and Wade had had the college talk too. But then again, they'd had it almost a year ago and decided that they'd apply to all the same colleges and go to the same one. After much prompting and coaxing, they'd convinced Rhea to do the same, too. After all, she didn't have any other attachments that might keep her around or pull her away somewhere else. At least, not at the time.

"What do you want me to say?" she asked instead, growing irritated though it was directed very little at Willa and a lot more at the sticky situation she'd been in for weeks.

"I don't know. Will you swoop in to get Caleb if they do break up?"

"I don't know. I don't want anyone to think I've been waiting in the sidelines for him to become available."

"Which is totally what you've been doing." She pointed at Rhea with a French fry.

"That's not the point. Wait...do you honestly think I've only been Caleb's friend all this time so I could snatch him the minute he's single?"

"No, Ree, of course not. I'm sorry, I was joking."

"I know you were, I'm sorry too. It's just that...it's been really hard for me these past couple of weeks, y'know. First with Floyd, then with Caleb, then Floyd again. It's just such a mess."

"I know. Everything will be alright though, don't worry."

Rhea wanted to believe in her friend's words, but she just wasn't sure if anything would ever be alright again. Ever since the whole soulmate thing had started, her whole life had gotten a whole lot more complicated. She'd always had it so easy until one day everything had spiraled out of control and she'd found herself in the middle of this mess. So instead of replying to Willa's words, she forced a smile and changed the subject.

"Anyway, you're still coming over for dinner next week, right?"

Willa immediately brightened at her words and gave her a devilish grin. "Yeah, and I'm bringing Magic Mike."

"You know I think that movie is disgusting, right?" She shook her head and let out a chuckle.

"Yeah well, it has Channing Tatum's butt, so suck it up."