Chapter 21: Houston We May Have a Problem

Chapter 21: Houston, We May Have a Problem

"Can't we leave tomorrow morning?" Luke asked, for the second time. He was currently in the midst of putting all of his things into a backpack, for the road trip, but the look on his face told me he was certainly not happy about it.

"No," I said, trying my best to sound authoritative. "We have to leave now."

"Why?" He groaned.

"Because when you say 'tomorrow morning' I know you really meaning the middle of the afternoon. And if we leave in the middle of the afternoon we won't get there till tomorrow night."

"What's wrong with getting there tomorrow night?"

"You won't get to spend any time with your mom!" I said, shaking my head at his stupidity. Did I really have to spell everything out for him?

"Fine," Luke said, glancing over at the clock and sighing. "But don't blame me when I fall asleep at the wheel and kill both of us."

"Would you stop being so dramatic," I said, rolling my eyes. "Once I get you high on a few cups of coffee you'll be fine."

Luke scowled at me.

"Would you stop scowling and get your stuff?" I asked, tapping the watch on my wrist for emphasis. It was already ten o'clock, which was the time I usually would have been in bed. However, instead, I was preparing myself for a seven hour drive to Santa Barbara.

Luke's scowl deepened but he didn't say a word as he continued shoving things into his bag.

"You're bringing your camera?" I questioned, watching as he put his DSLR into the bag and zipped it shut.

"Yeah. I'm entering this photography competition and I still need a photo that stands a chance of winning. Maybe there'll be something worth capturing in Santa Barbara," he explained.

I smiled a little at that, unable to help but find his passion for photography endearing. I wasn't used to seeing Luke being dedicated to something like this. It was a nice change.

"Shall we go?" Luke asked, his backpack hanging from one shoulder.

I nodded, letting him lead the way out of his room and downstairs to his garage.

As we walked through his house we spotted the butler, who simply nodded at us, completely unfazed by the fact that we were leaving.

If we were at my house we wouldn't even have made it to the front door without my mom or dad bombarding us with questions about where we were going and when we would be back. The differences between the environment I grew up in and the one that Luke seemed to have grown up in were startling.

"I don't really know what car would be ideal for a road trip," Luke began, pressing the pin into the lock system that protected his garage. "But I guess you can help me pick."

The lock system made a beep sound and Luke swung the door open, letting me follow him into one of the biggest garages I'd ever seen. And that was saying a lot, considering how much MTV Cribs I had watched.

"Are these all your cars?" I asked, gaping at the assortment of cars parked in front of me. "Which one do we get to take?"

"Well most of them are my dads," Luke began. "And he would have a fit if he knew I'd even touched his Bentley or his Porsche..."

"Oh," I said, biting my lip at the thought. Luke's father sounded scary enough, I could barely imagine how terrifying he would be if he was having a fit over his Porsche.

"So let's take the Bentley or the Porsche," Luke said, smirking at me.

"What?" I frowned. "I thought you said he would have a fit."