Chapter 9: Theme Park

Chapter 9
Mickey 'Mike' Hollister
Theme Park

Late. So effing late.

I forgot that I have been asked by Eros to join him and Brad to their mini escapade.

Running at a full speed is making my feet ache. It hurts. My legs are already getting numbed.

The thing is, I really don't know where the hell I'm going. All I know is that Eros invited me to join them. Brad would be so disappointed if I don't join them. That's one of the most memorable moments of a kid. I do not want to ruin it. He could avoid me. Hell, he could hate me for it. I know that Brad's idol is me. He has high expectations for me.

I see a familiar face.

"Jeric!" I shout. I just got out of school. Jeric said he has an errand, so he got out of the school first. He looks at me and when he sees me, he immediately waves his hand to me, grinning like a total fool. Panting, I put my palms on my knees and it feels like there is no air inside my lungs. Breathing. Problem. Jeric messages my back. "Do you know any theme park that is near here?"

At first, he just stares at me like I've lost my mind but then he just shrugs it off.

"Yeah, Ace of Space. 20 miles away from here?" Jeric says slowly. "Why are you asking? You coming to the theme park and have fun on your own?" He says, laughing.

"No, little brother is waiting for me." I just say as I run.

+++

2 hours. The traffic has caused me trouble. I don't have any car for me to use. I couldn't contact my Dad. It went to voicemail. But I didn't leave any. I tried contacting Noah but no one picked up. Maybe Gloss and him were having a great, intense day. God. Those two. My phone went low-battery, and the worse is, I can't contact Eros. But even if I have a full battery, I don't have his number.

Theme Park.

Big.

Holy shit.

There are a lot of people staying and having fun in the park. I don't know which place I'm going just to find them. So many kids. My eyes keep searching the field around me, hoping to find Eros and Brad. But so far, none. The sun is going down, making the whole sky appear fiery and intense. The theme park lights are starting to lighten up, and if the dark replaces the fiery sky, I don't know what to do anymore. I don't even know why I want to join them. Maybe for Brad. Maybe for Eros. Maybe for both. I don't know.
I really don't know.

All I know is that I want to be part of this event.

For Brad. For Eros.

Mostly for Eros.

Searching for the entire theme park is so effing bullshit. I've been to every corner of the theme park and still, I cannot find them. Been looking for them for like 2 hours. Borrowed a mobile device from a stranger just to contact them. But none. None. None. None. Line is busy. And I'm getting tired of it. Sweat is running across my neck and all over my face and I don't have a towel for me to wipe it.

The darkness took over the fiery sky, and the stars and moon are glowing brightly over the horizon. I'm losing hope. Maybe they had fun. Maybe they did not. 50/50.

The irises of my eyes focus on the two persons who are buying a cotton candy at the CottonCandy store. The frown on my face immediately turns into a big smile as I see Eros' and Brad's happy faces. All smiles. They are smiling to each other and Brad's expression tells me that he's really having fun. I quickly run there.

"Am I late for this fun?" I say, panting.

Both of their heads whip at my direction. Eros' shock face turns into a grin and Brad's face lightens up like a fireworks bombing the dark, empty sky.

"Mike!" Brad shouts and he quickly runs over to me and hugs me tightly. His embrace is warm and soft. I chuckle and pat him on his head. He pouts at me and I laugh. Like really. He's so adorable. "I thought you weren't going to join us. Daddy said it's because you're an adult."

"What?" Loading. It doesn't make sense to me. My eyes reach his eyes. He just gives me a shrug and looks away.

"Daddy said if you're an adult, you have many problems to deal. I don't want to be an adult." Brad says to me, nodding to himself as he takes his father's hand and takes a bite to his cotton candy.

"Well," I say, looking at Eros. "Let's just say earlier, I was an adult. Right now, I'm a kid."

From the corners of my eyes, I see Eros shakes his head and mutters, "Great. I have kids to deal with."

"You're saying, Eros?" I ask teasingly, giving him an innocent smile.

He smiles. "Nothing, boy."

Stare.

For a moment, I freeze. For a moment, my heart stops. For a moment, my world lightens up. For the first team, my heart beats faster than ever.

What is this?

Brad takes my hand and pulls me, and now, we're both running to God knows where. But my eyes. My eyes are glued to Eros. He's looking directly at me. Eyes to eyes. It's like he's seeing my soul. The inner of myself. Who I am.

My mind is going haywire right now, searching for any answers of whys. Why do I feel this? Why do I feel this at all? Why him? Why is my heart beating so fast it could pass as a bullet train? Why is my world fading when I look into his eyes? I'm getting lost. Audible sounds. The spotlight is on him. I can't see anyone. I can't hear anything, only the beat of my heart.

I fall down.

Someone bumps into me, and before I drift my eyes to the person who caused me to fall down, I see Eros running to my direction.

The culprit says sorry to me and offers me a hand. I gladly accept it and look at the culprit. It's a guy. His brows are furrowed and lips are slightly parted. His eyes are hazel. Lips are red-ish, like he's been biting it.
"Hey, I'm really sorry." It's okay. I want to say. But my mouth is stuck up. "Are you okay?" I nod. "My name's Ezerette."

My voice comes back, "Mike," I offer my hand for him to shake and we do shake hands.

"Nice meeting ya, Mike. I'm really sorry about knocking the hell of you. I wasn't looking in my direction." He apologizes, giving me a half smile. A shy smile. I mumble an s'okay and he smiles at me. Then the weird thing is, we now part ways.

"What's with the exchange?" Eros says, his tone of voice tells me that he's somehow irritated. Does he have a problem?

I just shrug.

"Let's go. Brad is waiting." I say.

"No, why there is an exchange of names?"

"Nothing?" I say, unsure.

"He seems trouble to me."

"Cut it out, Ezerette is not doing anything bad."

He raises an eyebrow. "Oh so now, you're saying that guy's name and now you guys are close? Buddy buddy now? I should have knocked you off in the first place when I met you if that's the main criteria of getting your attention."

"Whatever," I say, rolling my eyes. I start to turn around my Eros takes my hand and whips me around to face him. His hand is warm. His touch sends electricity all over my body. It's like every inch of my body is being paralyzed because of his touch.

"Stay out of that guy," he says, warning me. What for?

His hand is still holding mu forearm and he's looking at me straight in the eyes.

"I mean it,"

"Geez, okay." It feels weird. I feel weird. "It's not like we're going to see each other again. We just exchanged names. Nothing else."

He nods to me and puts his arm over my shoulders and together, we walk to join Brad, who is sitting on the bench, eating his cotton candy happily.

It feels good to have Eros arms drape over my shoulders. He feels warm. He feels good to me. And the contact, I don't want it to lose. Maybe I need a friend. Maybe I found it somehow on Eros. Maybe. Just maybe.

Maybe I like him.

To be my father?