47. Enemies of the Heir

When the Hospital Wing doors opened and Severus burst inside, Draco's eyes widened with fear. Severus had a murderous look on his face and he was headed straight for Draco. He sneered nastily as he grabbed the boy by the collar of his robes and held him close enough that he could smell his breath.

"Never say that vicious word ever again," Snape snarled. Draco started to protest, but he didn't allow it. "Especially not to a professor." He released him roughly. "Do you have any idea the damage you could have done had she gone to Professor Dumbledore?"

Draco swallowed hard. "N-no, sir."

"Not thinking as always, Mr. Malfoy. If I hear of it again, you will spend your detention with the person or professor you insult and it will be an extra two hours long. Do you understand me?"

He nodded.

"Good. Did Madame Pomfrey see to you?"

"Yes, sir. She stopped the vomiting, but I'll still feel sick for a while."

"I assume you will be coming to class then?"

"I-"

"I thought so." Severus turned away, took a few steps, then whirled back around. "And you best not be late." With a swish of his cloak, he left Draco with his mouth hanging open in shock.

He stopped right outside the Hospital Wing doors. He felt sick to his stomach. He had made the same mistake once. Of course he was sure Malfoy wasn't in love with Hermione or Alaina, but still he had seen the hurt on Lily's face the moment he said it to her and he would not wish that pain on anyone. He took a deep breath and headed downstairs.

Alaina had just sat down at her desk in the Muggle Studies classroom when he walked in. She looked up at him and smiled. "Are you stalking me, Professor Snape?"

Severus smiled. "No. I just came to see how you were. You seemed a little out of sorts when I talked to you earlier."

"It doesn't bother me if that's what you're thinking. He called me a Mudblood, but I'm not as sensitive as my sister. I know that's what's bothering you."

His cheeks reddened. She was right. "I just wanted to make sure that you were okay that's all. I don't want Draco to use that word. I find it offensive now that I know how badly it can affect someone."

She flashed him a sympathetic smile. "I'm not as dramatic as my older sister was, Severus. I'm not going to shatter because of one little word."

"Good. I'm glad to hear that. I gave Mr. Malfoy a good talking to. I think I scared him pretty well."

She laughed. "He definitely deserved that." She stood. "Class starts in a little bit."

Severus raised an eyebrow. "And?"

Alaina smiled. "And I would like for you to come a little closer for a moment."

Smiling, he walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her. He knew exactly what she was hinting at. He had been thinking about it too. He closed his eyes as their mouths merged. There was nothing more magical than kissing her. They parted quickly.

"Later," she told him.

He simply nodded and then headed out the door. Alaina watched him leave, touching her lips. They were still tingling from the electricity that had just passed between them.

~ * ~

Later on that day, after classes ceased, Harry and Ron were standing in front of the desk in Professor McGonagall's office. She hadn't arrived yet, but she had sent a message by Seamus Finnigan that the two of them were to meet her there so they would know where to go for their detentions. Harry was dreading it.