Chap. 36

"Lee, come on!" Parker called from downstairs. "We've got breakfast going, and we can't really discuss anything without you."

I let out a long sigh, rolling over in bed once more.

I'd been tossing and turning in bed for the past half an hour. But I couldn't seem to actually get up.

My entire body felt weighted down. I felt sluggish, my eyes felt heavy.

And really, what was the point? Parker could handle everything without me. I'm not a vital part of the existence of the universe. So I'd much rather just stay right here anyways.

But I knew that wasn't going to fly with Parker. And he'd eventually come up here, and when he did, he'd figure out the walls that I'd been building up. The façade I'd been trying to pass off.

So I gave it a few more minutes before slowly forcing myself out of bed, pulling on the same pair of sweatpants over my boxers before heading downstairs.

"It's about time," Parker huffed.

Emily gave him a pointed look.

"Pancakes?" Emily asked me.

McKenna was already seated, munching on a pancake and some bacon.

"McKenna is a waffle person," I muttered, helping myself to some orange juice.

The smell of food was making me nauseous.

"Really?" Emily asked.

"It's not a big deal," McKenna declined.

"Are you even human?" Parker asked her.

"I just prefer waffles is all," McKenna said, her cheeks red. "It's okay though, really."

"We'll have waffles tomorrow then," Emily said, handing Parker some pancakes. "How many do you want Lee?"

I don't.

My stomach was rolling from the scent of them, honestly making me sick.

"Remember to take your meds," Parker reminded me, before heading out to the table to join McKenna.

"I'll just have something lighter," I declined.

"You don't want any pancakes?" Emily asked me.

I shook my head.

She frowned, but nodded, placing the batter off to the side.

"You don't either?" I asked her.

"Not really hungry for them, no."

Great. Between the two of us, we were going to royally piss Parker off.

I located my medicine, taking the slot labeled for Saturday morning before grabbing an apple.

"Want some yogurt?" Emily asked me, as she scooped some Greek yogurt out of a container for herself.

I shook my head, going out to join the other two.

I took a seat next to McKenna, trying to ignore the smell of her bacon as my stomach clenched.

"...or we could hike up to see some waterfalls," Parker was saying.

"Or we could not," I muttered.

"We're in North Carolina," Parker said, sipping on his coffee. "You have to experience the outdoors."

"Or I could not."

Parker glanced at my apple, his eyebrows furrowing, but he didn't say anything.