One

~(Frank's POV)~

"All I'm saying is, things would be so much simpler if they didn't show us the most difficult method first before anything else!" Ray complained as we walked down the hall.

"I thought college was supposed to be different from highschool." I agreed.

It was freshman year at this shitty university my terrible grades had somehow managed to get me into. My friend/dorm mate Ray too. We had only been here just over a week and it already proved to be just as boring as the previous 12 years of schooling we had been forced to endure, and we came to this place willingly.

Red flag for the rest of the time we had to spend here.

"I dunno, give it a bit longer I guess." Ray shrugged, adjusting the bag on his shoulder, "I think we should of taken this semester off..."

"Get some booze and babes." I grinned.

"Anything to break from learning for more than two months." Ray sighed. He was a learn as you go & experiment type of guy. He was never much for the book learning in the classroom setting.

"Hey, the faster we're done, the faster we can book it out of here and do the things we're really passionate about." I grinned just thinking about it. For me, it was and always had been music. As long as I could remember, especially having musicians in my family. Kinda why I settled on a music major when I had to pick why I was going to school here.

"Can't come soon enough..." Ray trailed off.

We were on our way to the library, having just completed a mind numbingly boring math class. We both had a two hour gap between our next class, which unfortunately wasn't together.

It was always fun sitting in a room full of people you didn't know.

We passed by the cafeteria and my stomach rumbled.

"Mmmm...Maybe just one quick bite." I thought out loud.

"We just had breakfast."

"I'm a growing boy!"

"You're almost twenty!"

"Almost is the keyword, my friend." I tried to duck into the cafeteria, but Ray grabbed my arm and pulled me past it. "Awww bitch..."

"It's full of food that will be there later." Ray replied.

"But I want to give it the pleasure of meeting my stomach now." I complained, continuing to follow Ray down the hall scattered with students.

"You're hopeless sometimes." Ray laughed.

"Hopelessly hungry."

We walked for what felt like forever until we finally made it to the school's huge, out of date library. The shelves were as tall as the ceilings and lined the walls as well as the inner sections of the room. In the middle, there were reading tables and a librarian's desk. Even in the neighborhood the school was in, this was pretty impressive. Definitely a step up from highschool libraries where the shelves only came as high as your waist.

"What was that thing our English teacher already assigned?" I asked, looking around at the huge room.

"Some mythology thing..." Ray said, equally impressed by the large room. It was our first visit after all. We didn't bother with the campus tour.

"Gotchya..." I patted Ray's back, "Tell me how that goes. I smell a burger calling my name."

"No!"

I tried to book it, but Ray grabbed my shirt collar. I sighed. Damn his lightening reflexes.

"I may have her first, but I'm not doing all the work for you."

"It's called buddy system! You take this assignment, I take the next one! Everyone wins!"

"Frank. How many times did we make that deal in highschool?"

"...A lot."

"And how many times did we fail every time your turn came around?"

"Hey, you always saved yourself last second!" I argued.

"I don't want to do that here!" Ray argued back, "I want to get through this and get out!"

"Alright! Alright!... Still share notes, right?"

"Fine, Frank. I'm cool with that." Ray agreed, "But we should really find some books. We can split them when we need to."

"Rad." I broke away from Ray and began to venture into the library.

Books.

Books everywhere.

It was nerd heaven. If only I enjoyed books more. I thought they were great and all, but school just diminished the value of them to me. The forcing to read and then testing your knowledge of; it just made books so much less fun.

School strikes again. Somehow sucking the fun out of that too.

I wandered for a bit, and eventually found myself in the freshman section. Mythology. Bingo. I began looking through books, but didn't see what I was looking for. (Not that I was even very sure of what that was.)

I was crouched down, observing a lower shelf, when I felt someone run into me.

"Hey!" I looked up and saw a boy with jet black hair and sunglasses standing above me.

"Oh crap! I'm sorry!" The boy apologized, holding tightly to the bookshelf next to him.

"I may be short, but I'm not that hard to miss buddy." I muttered, standing up.

"You'd be surprised..." The black haired boy laughed lightly.

I shot him an angered look. Mocking my height was a quick way to piss me off. There was a smile on his face, but his eyes were concealed by the glasses.

"You know, only douche bags wear sunglasses inside." I snapped at him.

"Well, if I knew what a douche bag looked like, I'd probably agree." The dark haired boy laughed again.

I looked at him confused for a minute before it started to sink in. Dark glasses...Holding the shelf like it was the only thing giving him guidance of where he was...Not seeing me sitting on wood paneling floor, even with his black and white stripes...

This guy was blind

I just fucking mocked a blind person.

"Oh shit dude." I looked at him. I was about to apologize when a blond boy came hurrying over.

"Gerard! You can't just go walking off without your cane." He held a long white cane and pressed it against the blind boy's hand.

He slowly grabbed it and addressed the blond boy. "I don't need it Mikey." He said in hushed tones.

"Don't give me that bullshit! I got sent here with you cuz mom knew you would try to pull this exact shit." The blond boy looped his arm with the blind boy's and led him off, around the corner of the tall bookshelf.

I didn't even get the chance to apologize it happened so fast.

I felt horrible.