Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I picked out the toast from the toast maker before setting it down on the table and applying butter on it. I was so engrossed in my thoughts, thinking about the event when my mother suddenly entered the house with a loud thud and I drop the toast in fright.

“What’s wrong?” she frowned at my panicked position.

I glared, “Don’t do that again!”

“Do what?” she asked before adding, “and please clean up the mess you just made.”

I rolled my eyes, picking up my poor toast from the floor. Dropping it into the bin, I decided to make another but as I looked over at the wall clock, I realized I had no time to make another toast in peace. Immediately, I poured myself a glass of orange juice before gulping it down and grabbing my handbag, breaking into a run for the door.

“Where do you think you are going?”

I stopped, turning around and not bothering to hide my irritated expression, “what do you want now, mom?”

“Take out the garbage,” she ordered. “Just because you start working doesn’t mean you forget your daily homely duties.”

I just stared at her wide-mouth. Was she serious? Here I was, trying to save my job and all she worried about was me forgetting my domestic duties. What the hell is wrong with her?

“Mom,” I took in a deep breath, trying to remain calm. “Seriously, now is not the time for your drama.”

She frowned, angrily, “Take out the garbage and never use that tone with me again, Amy.”

I glared, but did as she’d asked me to. Grabbing the bag of garbage, I headed out the door without saying bye. Soon, I found myself running to catch a cab before heading to the office. The event was going to be held tomorrow and we had to make sure everything was set in order to get the job done appropriately. As soon as I’d reached the event hall, I called up the electrician to confirm if he was going to make it by noon since I’d just found out that unless the lightings were done the interiors couldn’t be done. Sadly the electrician said he couldn’t make it and I frantically searched for an alternative.

Lisa was busy attaching the plastic roses to their stems along with few others and I wondered what they were going to use it for. “What are you doing?” I asked, stopping in front of her.

She was seated cross-legged on the floor, her hands moving efficiently and gracefully and I wondered if I’d ever become as experienced as she was. I mean, would I ever grow the gracefulness she had. Her jet black hair was tied into a bun and she wore simple blue jean with a black tee-shirt.

“Fixing these flowers for the tables which are arriving late in the evening by the way,” she replied, glancing up at me.

I turned slightly pink, “I’m sorry. I didn’t know they would deliver it late—“

“No!” she chuckled. “I didn’t mean it in the bad way. It’s good they are arriving today and not tomorrow. We can check if there are any damages.”

I nodded before realizing I needed to ask something, “Do you happen to know any electrician who can make it by noon?”

“Why so early?”

“The ones in charge of the interior said it’s going to take a few hours to decorate completely and unless the lighting is done they cannot start. The electrician I hired cannot come by noon,” I said, worriedly.

Lisa paused, looking thoughtfully, “I don’t really know anyone—“

“Wait!” I exclaimed, as a thought popped into my head. “I’ll ask mom.”