Chapter 3 - Now, Initiate.

Eric's POV

She has no idea the affect she had on me. The moment her eyes met mine when she got off that train.

But I can't even begin to go soft. I did horrible things to get where I am in Dauntless. It only took me two years to become a leader, and even though everyone should question how I did it, they don't.

I've never even been remotely attracted enough to a girl to even care. And now this girl, with big doe eyes and perfectly colored lips is making me question my hard exterior. And she just has to be a damn Abnegation.

I'm getting ready to show all these new transfers around the compound. I want to talk to her. Hear her voice. Find out what she's thinking. But instead, I put my walls back up.

"Transfers, follow me!" I yell. I watch them scrabble towards me and follow me through the dark corridor.

"This, initiates, is the Pit." I announce. They all look down to see the Dauntless standing around below them. It's where we eat, it's where we gather. There are some shops and tattoo parlors scattered throughout the compound. Other hallways lead to the apartments we stay in. However, these initiates won't be staying in any apartments.

"This way." I tell them sternly.

I walk them into their sleeping quarters. They will all sleep here, shower here, everything.

"Boys and girls stay in here...together?" The small blonde girl asks.

"Yes. Is there a problem with that?" I ask.

She just looks down and shakes her head.

"There's clothes on your beds. You're Dauntless now, get rid of your old factions clothes as quickly as possible. Then go down to the Pit for some food." I turn on my heel and walk out, but not before looking back at Corrine Minor. The frightened look on her face was almost enough to break me, but I pushed myself out the door and down the hallway.

I paused a moment, pressing my back against the cold wall and putting my head in my hands.

"Losing your edge, Eric?" I hear a voice I despise say.

"Back off, Four." I say between clenched teeth.

"How are they looking?" He asks, approaching me with his arms across his chest. I sigh loudly.

"They're transfers, they don't look like anything yet."

"I was only asking your opinion." He scoffs and walks passed me. I roll my eyes and head towards the pit.

I sit down absentmindedly and grab some food. Not really wanting to eat it though. I always sit alone, no one wants to sit by me or talk to me unless they have to.

I watch across the Pit as my new transfer initiates walk in. Everyone watches them. They're all changed into their new clothes. One of the other transfer girls, the one with tan skin and dark hair, angrily pushes Corrine against the wall as they walk in. I feel my body tense at the sight.

Corrine's jaw tenses as her bottom lip puckers. She's trying not to cry. I can only imagine how the other transfers treat her, because she was Abnegation.

The other Abnegation, the one she jumped with, who is possibly her brother, checks on her now. She shakes her head at him and walks away. I try to stop watching her now, as she gets closer to where I sit.

"Is it..is it okay if I sit here?" I hear her quiet voice say.

I keep my face neutral and nod at her as I look away. She sits at the table, her head down and hands in her lap.

"Aren't you going to eat something?" I ask.

"I'm not hungry." She simply states, not looking at me.

"You're training starts tomorrow. You should eat."

"You aren't eating." She looks up a little.

"I'm not the one with 8 weeks of vigorous training ahead of me. If you get past the first stage that is." I say a bit harshly. She nods silently and licks her lips.

Her pretty fingers reach across the table and grab some of the food set out. She takes small bites, but at least she eats.

"There you are!" The annoying blonde says, interrupting my thoughts.

"Hey, Marie." Corrine says, her sadness diminishing a bit.

"I can't believe what a horrible bitch Drea is. She's just cruel." Marie says. Corrine's face drops again, she looks at me from the corner of her eye to see if I heard. I pretend I didn't.

"It's fine." Corrine says.

"She didn't have to humiliate you in there." Marie says. I can feel my fists clenching and unclenching at the thought of someone mistreating this girl.

"Just drop it. I chose this." Corrine says, her voice breaking a bit.

A lower ranking officer comes over to me, telling me that the other leaders are ready to address the initiates. I get up from the table, leaving Corrine behind and join the other leaders.

"Initiates! Stand!" Max yells. They all stand up and face us.

"You've chosen Dauntless, and that's something to be proud of. Tomorrow you begin training. Four and Eric will train the transfers and Serena and Makai will train the Dauntless born. Put your past behind you now, make us proud." Max announces to them. Everyone in the pit is clapping and yelling. I roll my eyes.

Tomorrow they won't be so happy.