46. Made New

Chapter 46

HAZEL POV:

I thought that hardest part of waking up would be the physical pain.

When my eyes finally crack open, covered in disgusting eye slime—the kind you wake up to after those long nights—I begin to think that it is definitely the physical pain that hurts the most.

My side is aching but it feels more sore than anything.

Gently turning my head, I turn to see a pair of Hazel eyes staring back at me.

My eyes skim his face carefully, from the curve of his forehead to the sharp angling of his jawline all the way back up to his chapped lips.

I can't say a thing, my heart monitor going bonkers and filling the room with more than enough noise.

I inhale and he exhales and I don't want to look away.

Lying on that cold, concrete floor I thought I was going to die.

The last thing I closed my eyes to was the sound of his voice calling my name.

A small sound escapes my throat and I can't take the distance between us anymore.

He swallows hard, his eyes red and shadowed with sleepless nights. Gauze is tapped to the temple of his head and the cuts literally his face are like constellations, twisting this way and that.

There is so much pain in his eyes I automatically think the worst.

I reach for him. "Coda," I choke, days of not using my voice making me sound hoarse.

There is a flash of raw emotion in his eyes, one of pain and...relief but it disappears the moment he snaps his jaws locked.

His eyes harden and he stands up abruptly with his fists clenched, likes he's in physical pain to just be in my presence.

I cower back in my hospital bed, bewildered at the anger in his eyes.

And without a single word, he turns, knocks the chair away and storms out my hospital door.

~*~
I thought the hardest part of waking up would be the physical pain—it wasn't... not by a long shot.

Tears burn in the back of my throat as I swallow hard to keep them at bay.

My family members enter my room three at time, spewing their fake 'I'm so glad you're better' lies to hide behind their judgmental eyes.

They are all good actors though because no one out right picks on me or says anything to upset me. it isn't until I ask 'Where's Coda?' that I see a bit of irritation leak into their eyes—as if I shouldn't be wasting my time asking where he is.

I ask every single one of them where he is.

No one tells me.

They're damn lucky they only have a five minute time limit because one more minute spent with those imbeciles would push me over the edge.

For every person that tells me they don't know where he is or that they haven't seen him, I want to tell them that I shouldn't even be asking such a question, that he should be right here—next to me.

It isn't until visitor hours nearly end that my parents and Gwen come in, wheeling Jeremy along in his wheelchair.

I don't think about whether or not they'll think I'm an insensitive daughter when I completely skip all the explanations and formalities.