Chapter 6: Bruises and Bree.

Chapter 6

~Adrian’s POV~

Lucas was lying to me.

He was actually standing there and lying to my face without hesitation. I wasn’t sure if I should be proud of his ability not to flinch under my scrutiny or pissed at his blatant disregard for honesty in our relationship, but in light of the current situation I had to go with the latter.

“Will you stop looking at me like that? I said it probably happened  when I was training one of my students, happens all the time.” He said then turned to place the now dried plate into the cupboard.

We’d finally gotten around to eating the meal he’d cooked for me last night, for breakfast. It had of course been delicious, cooking was second nature to Lucas after all but that was a subject for another time, at the moment I just stood around the counter watching him ignore me after just spending the last ten minutes lying to my face, well, twenty if you counted last night’s lies.

“I can tell when you’re lying to me Lucas and I don’t appreciate it.” I said, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

“You’re making a big deal out of nothing.” He said before placing another plate into the cupboard and my eyes narrowed onto the back of his head.

“Have you seen your neck lately?” I asked in disbelief, “It looks like someone almost succeeded in squeezing the life out of you.” I said trying to keep my tone leveled as I stared at the angry bruises that  ran across his flesh. I wasn’t even exaggerating.

“I’m not going to kill the fool who did this to you if that’s why you won’t tell me.” I said a moment later and he turned to me with a bored expression. “The most I’ll do is…have a talk with him.” I continued, putting on my best innocent expression.

“How’re you so sure it’s a him? he questioned with a raised eyebrow and my eyes widened.

“You let a girl do this to you?” I asked in disbelief and he rolled his eyes.

“No. and I didn’t let anyone do this to me, that’s just what happens when you fight with people for a living, you get hurt.” He said looking annoyed now, then, “Are you about done with your questions? My family isn’t going to wait around forever you know.” He said and moved around me to pick up his jacket.

“Fine, we’ll continue this later.” I said and Lucas groaned as we made our way to the door.

We were going to visit his immediate family for dinner, but because it was such a long drive over we had to leave from now. I’d told him it would be better if we took my chopper but he was adamant we try to appear as normal as possible with his family. 

He was acting like I’d never  met them before or something. This past year I’d been to visit with them as often as he did, maybe even more so the whole ‘appear normal’ speech was pointless.

They already knew I was wealthy anyway. I was after all a reputed arms dealer, they just didn’t know about the other life I lived and a helicopter surely wasn’t going to tip them off.

………………………..

Last night I’d found out that the love of my life loved me back yet I still couldn’t help the feeling of jealousy that encompassed me at knowing that he was texting Laken. I maneuvered the car around another bend and my eyes flickered back to him when his phone vibrated yet again and his face broke out in a smile when he read his latest message.