Chapter 7 Blonde

“Hi, I am Gwendolyn Nightingale.” I said, smiling at myself in the mirror. “You can call me Gwen.”

My mouth twitched and I sighed to myself; I looked so unnatural. My new name will take some getting used to. I tugged at my hair, which had be dyed to a soft shad of blonde and permed into waves as opposed to original straight dark brown curtain and grimaced. I hated being blonde, but I had to admit I looked so different that I barely recognized myself at first glance.

I wondered what the others had to do to alter their appearance and what kind of identity they were given. I was now Gwendolyn Nightingale. Born to Jack and Heather Nightingale from Somerset Citybase in UK (one of the southern Citybase); relocated to Yunan Citybase at age twelve to be close to my aunt Helen James (who actually exists) as we have the same power. She decided that my power was finally strong enough for me to join the Ganesh family mercenary for some experience so here I am. I had to say the whole thing was very convincing, I found no reason not to believe it.

After repeating to myself several times about my new personal details I smoothed my cloths and decided it was time to step outside. I tentatively poked my head out to see if anyone else was around. No one, good. Now I can post phone the humiliation longer. God help Fred if he tried to as much as laugh at me.

Tugging my shirt uncomfortably I walked down the hall attempting to go back to my dorm with Casey, Holly, Natalie and Evanna. The boys were staying in the room opposite us, much to Fred’s chagrin (he wanted to room with Natalie, fat chance).

Tiptoeing down the corridor my senses were heightened, alert for any sign of people passing by. I glared at what I could see of my hair, of all the colour is the world why did they make me blond? This is so infuriating. I would much rather they make me ginger.

“Hey you, no wondering in this part of the house!” Someone shouted behind me and I froze. Oh gods please don’t be someone I know. I prayed silently, my mind too overload to recognize anyone’s voice.

I turned around slowly and came face to face with Owen. More correctly the blond version of him; his hair, which was long and dishevel (courtesy of three months in the wilderness) was now cut to shot and tussled. He was also dressed in the leather get up Trevor and Mariah was dressed in – all in all he looked so different that I almost couldn’t tell him apart. We both gaped at each other for a few minutes, shocked by each other’s appearance.

“What the hell, is that you Gail?” He asked, eyes almost falling out of his sockets. I sighed and nodded; I would have laughed at the shocked expression on his face if I wasn’t so depressed about my altered exterior.

“It’s Gwen now.” I said with a sigh. Gee, why give me such a girly name. Nightingale is a nice touch though; if the others accidentally called me Gail we can at least make some sort of excuse.

“I am Owain.” Owen said, scratching his hair. Now it was my turn to have my eyes bulging out of their sockets; this wasn’t fair! How come he got to have practically the same name whilst I have to be called Gwen?

As if sensing my thoughts Owen gave me a sheepish smile. I tried to contain the discontentment bubbling up inside me. They just wanted to make sure no one would recognize me. I reasoned with myself. Calm down, this isn’t permanent.

However, the thought of the other’s face when they see my new look was enough to send me over the edge.

“Come on, we need to meet with Nirmal.” Owen said, nudging me on the shoulder. I sighed and followed him down the long corridor to the living room, dragging each step hoping it will prolong my imminent doom.

“What took you so long?” an impatient voice called out even before we fully opened the door; needless to say it was Tom. Taking a deep breath I composed myself as much as I could. Maybe if I pretended like nothing was wrong they wouldn’t be as over-thrown by my new appearance.