02: Brave New World

The next few days were chaos. Damon killed Elena's brother, but he came back to life because he had a special Gilbert ring that allowed him to come back to life when he was killed by a supernatural being. So, now Elena hated Damon more than she hated him before. According to her, he had no good left in him. Katherine took the good that was left in him, and that was the exact quote Stefan said to her. How did I know all of this? Well, he told me when he returned to the boarding house and asked where his problematic brother was. 

   The Mystic Falls High School carnival was filled with most of the Mystic Falls citizen, and that included Stefan, Damon, and myself. I was on bodyguard duty, trying to protect Jeremy Gilbert from the angry Damon Salvatore. 

   "What will you do?" I asked Damon as we walked through the throng of people. 

   He rolled his eyes and lifted his hands, shaking his fingers. "I will behave," he groaned. He turned and looked at me, tilting his head to the side. "Don't you think I can't behave?"

   I smiled and shook my head. "No, I think you won't behave," I stated. "You're not a good guy."

   He scoffed. "Look who's talking," he scoffed, rolling his eyes once again. He turned and smiled, then marched over to the food truck that sold an array of sweets. "Jeremy," he cooed to the boy buying popcorn. "It's good to see you alive."

   The boy—Jeremy—turned and sighed. "Aren't you a little too old for a high school carnival?" he asked Damon with a slight glare.

   "A hundred and fifty years too old," Damon answered as he grabbed popcorn from the boy's bag. He took the bag, and then continued to eat the popcorn.

   Jeremy scoffed. "You're pretty funny cracking jokes when I could, I don't know, blow the whole lid off this thing by telling someone what you really are."

   Suddenly, Damon took a hold of the boy's neck and began to drag him away from the crowd. He pulled the boy closer to him with his arm. "So, please tell me that that is not a threat."

   "Maybe it is," Jeremy said as he showed him a ring. I pursed my lips and nodded, admiring the guts the boy had. It wasn't every day when a human decided to threat a vampire that had him by the throat. 

   "Oh," Damon said as he began to choke the boy from behind. 

   "Hey, hey!" I immediately cut in, glaring at Damon and squeezing his arm. "Let him go."

   He ignored me. "This is what we're not gonna do: we're not gonna walk around like we are invincible when it's this easy for me to end you." He released the boy. "If you want to tell people what I really am, what we really are, go ahead and try." He held up the ring Jeremy had in his finger a few seconds ago. "I will shove thins ring so far up your ass you'll really have something to choke on." He threw the ring to the boy's forehead and began to walk away. 

   I looked at the boy in worry. "Are you okay?" I asked, looking from his neck and then to his forehead where the ring ricocheted from. "At least you're not hurt... That's good. Elena would have given me an earful and Stefan would have probably killed me."

   "You're one of them?" Jeremy asked, glaring. "Great, vampire everywhere."

   I smiled. "I'm not like Damon, well, not completely at least." I patted his shoulder and began to walk away, only to stop and turn back to him. "Stay safe, okay? Don't get killed or anything. I don't want to be lectured about how hard it is to keep another Gilbert alive." I winked at him and then went on my way to follow Damon. 

   "You're going to follow me around?" he asked as I walked besides him.

   "Oh, no," I quipped. "I'm not following you, I'm babysitting you. There's a difference there."