Visiting

I arrived home a few hours later then when I left, and by some miracle, my mother wasn't home. She must have decided to stay the night at her friend's when it began to storm. Wearily, I unsaddled Shelia and checked her for injury. I was pleased when I found nothing. I rubbed her down and gave her a carrot.

I stumbled inside. I changed quickly into my nightdress and put my dirty dress into a barrel of water to seep overnight. I brushed my hair quickly and lay down on my pallet. Never had it felt so soft.

I awoke the next morning to sunlight shining through my window, making shadows dance on my face. I yawned and stretched out comfortably on my mat. I walked sleepily over to the window to peer outside. I gasped at the beauty before me. The rain seemed to have coated everything in diamond dust. Everything sparkled as the bright sun hit every drop. Everything was vibrant and the colors were so bright. I knew at once that today would be wonderful.

I changed quickly into a pale blue dress. I braided my long hair down my back and ran quickly down the stairs that lead up to my bedroom. I slept in the attic of our tiny house. I loved it dearly as it reminded me of a secret hiding place. Mother had already left for work, but she had left a note telling me how sorry she was and that she had spent the night, just as I supposed, at her friend's. She had made my favorite breakfast and left it out for me. I gobbled it down, as I was running late.

I ran to the castle, not stopping. I got there just in the nick of time. Cook began to fire orders at me, the moment I walked through the door. At two, when we were released for the day, I was exhausted but not as much as I had been yesterday. I was in good spirits, having slept well and, overall, having a very good day.

I walked swiftly home. In all honesty, I had not had time to spare even a single thought for Loki. I thought of him now, as I walked home. I was so enraptured in my thoughts, that I failed to look where I was going. With a teeth jarring thump, I  hit someone very hard. Lawrence stared at me,  his hand around my waist, grinning with his ugly yellowed teeth.

I tried to pull away but he held tighter, pressing me against him. His head lowered and I knew what was going to happen. I slapped him with all the strength I  had. His head shot up and he released me. I took several steps back, getting ready to run.

Lawrence felt the red hand shaped mark on his cheek and narrowed his eyes. I began to run. I didn't know what he could or would do. I ran all the way home before shutting and locking the door behind me. I slumped to the floor. I breathed in a huge sigh of relief. After waiting for several minutes to make sure he hadn't followed me, I went upstairs to take a bath. After washing and scrubbing my skin to wash away any lingering smell of Lawrence, I saddled up Shelia.

After riding for several minutes, I decided to go visit Loki. I turned back around and galloped to the house. I felt like I should bring him something. It would be my thank you for healing me. Once I reached the house, however, I found myself at a loss for what to bring. I finally decided on my favorite book. He could read it if he wished. Maybe he would even enjoy it, if he allowed himself to.

I was no fool. I knew Loki's personality better then anyone. Not because I met him once when I was younger. Not because I had heard the stories. But because I could look at him with kindness. And I am sure that bothered him. I should fear him, be in awe of him. But I simply could not hide the fact that I was not afraid in any form or fashion.

I rode to the Tower and quickly located the cave I had been in yesterday. My footprints had left marks in the clay and remained after the water dried. I tied Shelia to a tree in the woods, a fair distance from the cave. I didn't want anyone to suspect that I was up to no good.

I had a sneaking feeling in the pit of my stomach, that this was a very dangerous secret. If anyone knew where Loki was, he could escape. By using mind control or trickery, he could do so easily. But I knew his tricks. I knew better then to be fooled. I hoped.