CHAPTER TEN: Frog On the Lam

The next day, I attended my final lesson, which was on courtly etiquette: how to curtsy to a king versus to a prince, what fork to use at a royal function, and how to deal with the press when they harass your client for interviews. I hurried off to the mail room as soon as it was over and found a note from Geoff, which I took to read outside on my usual bench.

He wrote that he wouldn't be sending mail for a month because his class was camping out in the mountains to "weed out the wimps," according to his teacher, Sir Lance. Just hiking that treacherous mountain range was a task for the bravest, so what would it be like to have to sleep out there for four weeks? I was glad I didn't have to find out. At least Geoff would have a sword, though . . . all I had was a wooden stick that I was still getting the hang of.

I took the magic wand out of my pocket and examined it. Contrary to what Madam Pennywell had said in class about being on the lookout for witches or banshees, I was much more interested in what the wand could do in terms of everyday tasks . . . like, say, making shoes. Mom and I could finish fifty pairs on a good day. Would we be able to double that? And how would a wand compare to gossamer powder for enlarging pumpkins?

I closed my eyes, imagining Big Ben swelling to the size of a castle.

Ribbit.

I looked down to see Alfonso gazing at me with his usual disapproval.

"Hey, frog boy," I said. "Where's Maud? Is it time to meet her and Muffet for lunch?"

In response, he looked toward the main building.

"Speaking of Muffet, do you know what his deal is?"

The amphibian licked his chops, looking puzzled.

"He didn't want Maud to tell me where he came from yesterday. I was just curious."

That was the first time I had ever seen a frog shrug at me.

"Fine, don't tell me," I said, getting to my feet. "So what's your deal? Where did you come from? Why are you hanging out with Maud?"

And that was the first time I had ever seen a frog roll its eyes.

"I was just trying to make conversation," I grumbled. "Come on, Maud must be wondering where her best webbed-toe buddy is." I offered him my hand, which he condescended to hop onto, and we headed toward the main building.

Maud was waiting alone in the lobby, as Muffet was apparently too groggy from his morning nap to join us.

"It'll just be the three of us today," my trainer said cheerfully, popping Alfonso onto her shoulder as she led the way out.

It was another beautiful August day and I admired the sun gleaming off the stone towers of Irisia Palace. It really was a beautiful place for a ball. Maybe those princesses falling all over themselves to find the perfect shoes were onto something.

"Have you ever met Prince Christopher?" I asked. "What's he like?"

"Only a few times, from a distance," the fairy godmother replied. "He's very tall. Handsome. Walnut-colored hair that's just as perfect as everyone says it is."

"I mean, what's he like as a person?"

"Oh. Charming, but a bit . . . eccentric, and he certainly likes his own way. Grandma Lin was actually supposed to be his fairy godmother, but he threw a huge tantrum and made his parents cancel the contract when he was ten."

"So that's why they're throwing him this festival in December? Because he can't find a potential bride by himself, without a fairy godmother?"

"I don't think he's worried about that just now," Maud said absently. "He's much more concerned with enjoying himself. Here we are! The Tented Market!"