Chapter 28 - Home

Sorry for the wait! I've hardly been writing at all this week so my stockpile is running a little low, meaning I might need to take a short break, I don't know when though. Thanks for all of the amazing comments on the last chapter by the way :)

-Picture of Theo (Can't remember if I used this one already, but I want to use it anyway.)

Keegan's POV

Ten minutes passed and it was finally time to head home. Theo being the gentleman he is carried my heavy bag for me, only, it wasn't heavy for him since he's so muscular and all. The docking area with the school buses was already filled with students by the time we got there.

One of the teachers spoke, gaining everyone's attention. "I hope you all enjoyed this trip and made lots of friends. As you all know we're heading home in just a bit, so make sure to grab all your belongings." There were a lot of cheers throughout the teachers speech, but I could also see sadness on the faces of many students, I guess I wasn't the only one feeling a little down about going home. At this point I was more worried about what would unfold when I get home.

When we were instructed to get on the buses people flooded through the doors of the closest bus. I lost track of Theo during all of the commotion and I didn't spot Kevin anywhere. They probably got on first bus, which was now full. I waited a moment, just to see if I would spot them anywhere but one of the teachers suggested I get on the second bus instead of standing around. Suddenly I felt that all too familiar unease and anxiety stirring to the surface. I'd hoped to ride with Theo, or even Kevin but that didn't look likely. I didn't even get to say bye...

I took the seat all the way to the back next to the window like I did on the day we came here. All the noisy chatter and shouting put me in greater discomfort, though everyone settled down eventually. That's when the buses took off.

I watched as the trees passed, I watched the open fields come into view and disappear, I watched houses as they passed, and all of the people living their separate lives. What I wouldn't give to live a normal life, to have an ordinary family. Accepting things the way they are now would probably be better than hoping for something greater though, cause in the end I know I'll be disappointed.

Around an hour after the buses started moving the teens started to get hyper. Some stood up messing around, even though they were ordered to sit. Some threw things, and others just sat in their seats, like me.

For some time the bus ahead of us was out of sight, though we could usually see it on straightaways. But eventually we saw it parked on the side of the road. The driver of our bus pulled over to check and see if something was wrong and sure enough there was. We were told to stay on the bus but after ten minutes of waiting the driver allowed us off, though we couldn't leave the area. As I stepped out of the bus I saw Theo in the distance. I wanted to run up to him and give him the biggest hug but that would be weird, especially in front of so many people. I missed him so much even though it was only like two hours since the buses took off. Theo shot me a smile when he spotted me leaving the bus. We both approached each other.

"I was worried when I didn't see you on the bus, since you were right behind me when I got on." He said as he came up to me.

"I lost sight of you." I admitted embarrassedly, rubbing my cheek.