Chapter 37: Conversation

This part didn't want to be written, so I hope it's alright. Next one over the week-end. Just 2-3 chapters left...

I stayed over a month at the farm. Lord Einarr had departed soon after our talk, leaving me to mull over his words. He gave Domarr most of his remaining supplies and a piece of silver from his armband, to compensate him for the cost of feeding five more mouths.

Magge ruled her household with a firm and kind hand. Her slaves and servants were treated well and revered her. In the absence of high status guests, she allowed them to sit with their masters at the long table. Although it was strange to me after all these months of kneeling I soon got used to it.

The pony we had lost carried my clothing and Magge insisted on lending me hers. It was inappropriate for a slave and I protested. So did Domarr when I entered the hall dressed as the lady I once was. This was when I truly saw the dominion she had on his heart.

"Husband," she whispered with a sad face and teary eyes, "I am sorry if I displeased you. Sunngifu was my lady and seeing her like this reminds me of my people. She is to marry our Godi soon, I assumed that there was no harm in my fancy. We have no undyed dress that would fit her current shape, but I will find some rags for her to wear if you so wish..." The trembling of her lips was all it took for Domarr's will to crumble. He drew his wife to him and surrendered.

"We cannot have her in rags, she is carrying Lord Einarr's child and he left her in our care. She will wear whatever you decide besides a kerchief. Her head is to stay bare and her collar on display."

Magge sniffled. "I will do as you say, husband."

I admired her mastery. Domarr wasn't duped, if the wink he addressed the guards was anything to go by. He wanted to indulge her, and her stratagem allowed him to do it without showing weakness.

So I got to keep her clothes and felt like a free woman. My hair had grown fast and was reaching my shoulders. The iron collar was the main mark of my slavery, one I hoped to be rid of soon.

It was decided that my condition was not compatible with hard work and I spent my days at Magge's side, weaving and embroidering. We walked around the farm grounds together, giggling like children at play. I was alive again.

Domarr rolled his eyes at us and said we were fused at the hip. Magge just shrugged, retorting that he out of all men should know better. I spit out my soup in mirth at the look on his face.

Our time together wasn't all wasted in childish babbling. Within a week the snow came back with a vengeance and we were blocked inside, Of course we spoke of our kinsmen, wondering how they passed the winter, speculating on bearns to be born and weddings to come. I learned that the youngest of the girls taken with us lived in a farm across the valley. She had been bought as a wife for the farmer's youngest son and was being educated in the running of a household. At the end of the summer, she would meet her husband and travel back with him to Greenland, where he had settled after several years as a mercenary.

Three of my kinswomen had been claimed by members of Lord Einarr's crew and the others had been sold to wealthy men. They had fetched a hefty price, and while I still feared for them, I hoped that they would be well treated. What fool would risk damaging precious goods?

"... my Lady?"

I stared at Magge blankly. Absorbed in my thoughts, I didn't hear her question.

"Are you happy with Lord Einarr?" she repeated, keeping her eyes on the shirt she was mending.

"It could be worse, I suppose..." I really didn't have an answer. I had come to terms with my fate; I belonged to him, carried his child and would soon be his wife. Did that make me happy? I didn't know.