Prologue

A/N:
Uhm... So apparently, half of my prologue went missing when I opened it. So, I had to re-write some of it. It did frustrate me at some point, making me look like some lunatic when I realised it was missing, but my spirit to post this will not be crushed by that. So, enjoy my Mon Chéri.

DNA.

***

Alexandra had been going back and forth in her hotel room for the last two hours. Her feet were sore but not sore enough to distract her attention from the words that have been occupying her mind since the last two days. She was fighting with her inner self on whether to be willing enough to leave her love, Nikolei, alone on the wedding day or just take the chance of marrying him with the risk that he might lose everything his family had worked for the last five decades.

She was having a hard time to make decision and all those while she had not stop fiddling with her fingers. She knew how Nikolei cherished his family's business so much that every time he would told her how he was proud of the business that he had inherited from his father. How he was proud that he was the third generation that was in charged of the company and was determined to make it more successful than before.

His grandfather had founded the company way back before he was born, just when Nikolei's father was still a child. Being the only male among the siblings, his father had inherited the business from his grandfather when he decided to retire and spent the rest of his golden years with his loving wife, Nikolei's grandmother. Now, he had inherited the shipping company from his own father as his older brother had no interest in business and him being the only male among his siblings after his brother.

Alexandra stared at her lover's picture. She loved him too much to see him getting hurt just because of her selfish thoughts and wants. She had made her decision and would not risk his business to be crushed by the cruelty of the world. That business was his family's pride and legacy. To marry him in this situation meant to losing all of that in just one day after all the hardships his grandfather and father had gone through all this time.

Tears started to fall down her cheeks as she packed all her personal belongings into her bag. She had imagined from the start how she would witness all the happy faces especially Nikolei's handsome one when they exchanged their vows but everything just seemed so blurry now after Rosie, her best friend, had visited her at her hotel room that night.

"You must leave immeadiately! Tonight is your last chance if you wanted to save Nikolei's business from going down the drain. Trust me, Alexandra. The man who threatened you is the man of his words."

Rosie had visited her at her hotel room that night, looking all frantic and was drenched with rain water from the heavy rain outside. She had just came out of the shower when she saw Rosie knocking loudly on her door.

"B-but tomorrow is my wedding day. Nikolei and I are going to get married!" Alexandra wailed lowly.

"Do you want to stay here and watch all of Nikolei's family's business and hard work being crumpled to pieces and torn down by the cruelty of the harsh world out there? Don't it make you feel any sense of guilt? Can you stand to see you are the reason for his family's business to fail and bankrupt?" Rosie said, holding onto her shoulders.

She sat on the couch near the bed, staring on the carpeted floor. She then looked up, just to be caught by Rosie's intense gaze. She continued to look at her face, not knowing how to react. She was so confused that her mind went blank.

"You must act fast, Alexandra. The man who threatened you is not to be taken lightly. I have bought you a plane ticket to the States. You'll get more information to where you will be heading on your plane ticket. The only thing you will need is a few pairs of clothes and your passport with this plane ticket. Think wisely, bestie."

They hugged one last time before Rosie left her hotel room that night.

She stared at the plane ticket in her hand. She prayed all her heart that she made the right choice.

"I'm sorry, Nikolei. This is for the best." One last look, she left the hotel room.