Chapter 1: Love Never Fades

5 years later...

She inhaled the fresh air of the city. It has been five years since she left the city. How has he been after she left? Her heart beat frantically. She had came back to meet up with the man she loved for the past few years. Her love towards him never died a single bit even when she was far away from him. Each passing day, she would count with patience the day that she could meet up with him and the day that she has been waiting for have arrived.

She took out a piece of paper with the address of the house they had scouted together for them to live in after being a married couple. Tears were starting to build up in her eyes but was quickly wiped away. This was not the day for her to be sad. She quickly handed the taxi driver the paper and left the airport when all her bags were put into the trunk of the taxi.

She stood in front of the large wooden door after she quickly sneaked in passed the huge iron gate when it was still opened. Her heart was beating frantically against her chest for she could not wait to be greeted by the man she loved. She slowly pushed the bell button and was greeted by loud bell sound. A few seconds later, she heard foot steps getting nearer and nearer towards the door.

When the door was open, her eyes met a woman in his forties with brown hair in a tight bun wearing a maid uniform. She was smiling politely at her. "How can I help you, miss?" The maid asked.

"I-is this Nikolei Machiavelli's house?" Her timid voice had the maid giggled.

She nodded few times. "Why don't you come in and have a sit, miss? I'll serve you tea in a short while."

The maid left for the kitchen while she was left alone in a huge living room. Her eyes scanned the room and suddenly sadness overwhelmed her as she remembered the memories they shared when buying this house.

"What do you think, love?" Nikolei asked her, kissing her temple adoringly.

"I think it is perfect! I can imagine our little bundles of joy running around the house." She smiled warmly.

"I like the sound of that already. I can't wait to..."

She was brought back from her thoughts when the maid entered the living room and served her a cup of tea. She muttered thanks to the maid which she received with a smile. As she was about to open her mouth, a deep voice echoed throughout the house and reached the living room when a tall man in dark burgundy suit entered the living room while his eyes were still on his wrist trying to put on the cuff links.

Her eyes widened and her heart was beating at a fast rate when she saw him. It's him! He's here now! She remained static at her place, enjoying the view that was in front of her. He had grown into a much handsome and matured man than before. His stubble covered his jaw had him look more masculine and more appealing to every women out there.

His body were much more muscular than when they used to date and his broad shoulder had his body screamed 'perfect'. The dark brown neatly combed hair had Alexandra felt the need to run her hands through his hair. Realizing she was checking him out, she quickly shook her head and focus on the situation now. The maid was busy helping her employer to put on the cuff links.

When she had done, she quickly grabbed her boss' attention. "Sir, there's a guest waiting for you."

Nikolei's head slowly turned towards where his maid were pointing and what he saw had his blood boiled. How dare she came back and show her face in front of him! His body immediately tensed at the sight of Alexandra. Not wanting to cause a scene in front of his maid, he dismissed her and sat down across Alexandra. Alexandra who was watching Nikolei closely followed his action and sat down on the couch where she was just now.

She cleared her throat and started to speak when Nikolei's voice quickly interrupted her.

"What do you want, Alexandra?" He asked, saying her name with a hint of disgust.

Alexandra didn't let it go unnoticed by her. It would be a lie if she said she was not hurt by his tone and she noticed that he didn't use the endearment he always called her with.

"Ni-Nikolei... I-um... I came back for you. It's over now and we can continue our relationship without any harm."

Nikolei scoffed at her words. He felt very irritated and disgusted by her words. She wants to rekindle? How absurd is she? She had left him before their wedding which had caused his family shame and he had to endure people talking about the incident everytime he faced the public. His mother almost died on the day of the wedding as she experienced a mild heart attack when they informed that the bride had ran away and was not in her hotel room that morning.

She even left him without any notes for God's sake! Imagined how heartbroken he was when the woman he greatly loved has ran away and was not brave enough to tell it to his face. There he was standing at the altar hoping that his beautiful bride showed up and could not wait to be tied to her for eternity but was devastated by the news he received from his best man.

He laughed bitterly, "Get back? Is that what you want?"

Right now, Alexandra was unsure whether there was still love for her from him. Hearing his bitter laughed and the hatred in his eyes as his eyes darkened to the darkest shade of green, her confidence was slowly fading. It made her think that the option she had chose back then was a wrong choice, but non of them seems to be the right choice. In fact, there is no right choice. Every choice had their own risks.

When she didn't answered but instead was staring down at her feet, he rose from his seat and towered over her.

"Is that what you want?!" His voice raised to a few octaves. "You think you can come crawling back here after what you did to my family and I? If that's what you think, than you are totally wrong. Your presence disgust me. Get out of my sight and don't show your face here again!" His loud voice echoed to all parts of the house.

By then, Alexandra's tears were starting to show themselves as they poured down gently down her cheeks. Her body shook in fear after Nikolei raised his voice at her. Never she had seen him mad to this point. He had always been a sweet gentleman a few years ago. Looks like the choice she made had changed him into a cold, bitter person. The man she loved was long gone when she left the city. She was the cause of his cold demeanor.

She was the devil.