two [elle & jake]

❝the thing about chameleoning your way through life is that it gets to where nothing is real.❞ -john green, an abundance of katherines

[elle]

After almost running into a group of people, who decided dashing across the street in the middle of the night, wearing all black, I realized going back home was a good idea. But then again, I doubt they expected any drivers at three in the morning. I sure didn't.

So I drove home, parked my car, and crept into the house as quietly as possible for a seventeen year old girl likely to major in clumsiness. And after tripping on the edge of the carpet and catching myself on  the wall, I slipped into bed and allowed my mind a chance to wander further.

Nobody in Topeka did anything at night, and nobody in neighboring towns would come to Topeka to do things at night. It didn't make much sense, but neither did my situation. It was all quite unexplainable, I think that drove me to sleep.

"Elle, it's time to get up, sweetie."

My mother knocked on the door a while longer, before wandering in and turning on the light.

"I'm up," I mumbled, rubbing my eyes and sitting up, sort of, "I'm up."

"You've got forty minutes, maybe less." She yawned, and then her and her bright pink bathrobe exited my room, leaving me to collect bits of my mind and attempt to put them back together.

And I did, eventually.

And twenty minutes later or so, I had succeeded in running a brush through my hair, tugging on some jeans, and tossing on an old band t-shirt, which I had no recollection of ever owning. So I more or less, stumbled downstairs, and managed to pull on shoes and a sweatshirt, grab some school-looking items, before stumbling out of the house as well.

I once again got into my car, and pulled into the street, merging into the rest of the world, invisible as Elle, and known only as a normal being.

A normal being, and by the end of the week, hopefully, a not-so normal one.

[jake]

There was something about getting to school thirty minutes before the janitor unlocked the front door, that you just couldn't find anywhere else. Maybe it was the incredibly windy, lonely time you had to yourself, sitting on the brick wall and staring into the empty parking lot. Well, empty with the exception of a pudgy looking Honda, which managed to be there earlier than me, day after day. Or maybe it was the fact, that there may or may not be a girl inside the school already, and it's oblivious to yourself as to how exactly, she was already inside, and why.  

There was something about getting to school thirty minutes before the janitor unlocked the front door, that you couldn't find anywhere else, only this time, it wasn't thirty minutes, and it wasn't the janitor. It was a girl, and I'm 98% positive, that pudgy looking Honda happened to belong to her.  

meh, was too lazy to edit and/or reread. pardon my undedicated self, she's wandering through mounds of homework which she could only dream to finish in the next thirty minutes until youth. also, she wasn't overly proud of this chapter [if you could even call it so] and felt it was a step down from the previous one. meh.