1O. The Warning

When Hermione, Penelope, and Cepheus entered the Great Hall for breakfast the next day, the first thing they saw was Abraxas Malfoy, who seemed to be entertaining a large group of Slytherins with a very funny story. As they passed, Malfoy tripped Cepheus, who fell face first on the floor, earning a roar of laughter. 

"You git," snarled Penelope, who bent down to help Cepheus. "Hey, Lockhart!" shrieked Alecto Carrow, an ugly Slytherin girl from the train at the beginning of the year. "Enjoying school so far? I have a feeling it's only going to get better!" Hermione dropped into a seat at the Ravenclaw table, next to her friends. "You alright?" she asked the embarrassed boy sitting next to her.

"Peachy", he mumbled. 

Hermione was examining her new schedule. "Oh, great " she sighed. "We have Divination today." 

After breakfast, they began their journey to the shared class with some Slytherins. They climbed the last few steps and emerged onto a tiny landing, where most of the class was already assembled. There were no doors off this landing, but at the ceiling was a circular trapdoor with a brass plaque on it. The trapdoor suddenly opened, and a silvery ladder descended right at their feet. Hermione climbed the ladder first.

She emerged into the familiar classroom. At least twenty small, circular tables were crammed inside it, all surrounded by chintz armchairs and fat little poufs. Everything was lit with a dim, crimson light; the curtains at the windows were all closed, and the many lamps were draped with dark red scarves. The shelves running around the circular walls were crammed with dusty-looking feathers, stubs of candles, many packs of tattered playing cards, countless silvery crystal balls, and a huge array of teacups. A voice came suddenly out of the shadows, a soft, misty sort of voice.

"Welcome," it said. "How nice to see you in the physical world at last." Professor Cassandra Trelawney, Sybil Trelawney's future grandmother, moved into the firelight.

She was slightly plump, opposite from future Sybil who was very skinny. Innumerable chains and beads hung around her spindly neck, and her arms and hands were encrusted with bangles and rings. "Sit down, make yourselves comfortable" she said, and they all climbed awkwardly into armchairs or sank onto poufs. Hermione shared her table with Cepheus and Ursula Lovegood. She looked around the room and her eyes landed on the first table next to the window. Tom Riddle, Alecto Carrow and Abraxas Malfoy stood smugly, listening carefully to Trelawney.

"Welcome to your very first Divination class this semester," said Professor Trelawney, who had seated herself in a winged armchair in front of the fire. "Hopefully this time you children will be more open minded and focused on your Inner Eye. "

At these words, Malfoy snickered, earning a death glare from Tom who nudged him firmly in the arm. "Today we will explore the wonderful art of fire-omens. Next we shall progress to palmistry." Said Trelawney as she raised from her seat, eyeing the students curiously. "Can anyone tell me the correct technique of this art?" As usual, two hands shot in the air, however this time accompanied by a third one. 

The old witch pointed at Lovegood, who happily responded. "The correct technique of fire-omens is known as Pyromancy. We are expected to see signs in flames." Professor Trelawney smiled and nodded her head approvingly. 

"That is correct, Miss Lovegood. 10 points to Ravenclaw."

"Broaden your minds, my dears, and allow your eyes to see past the mundane!" said Cassandra Trelawney as she pointed her wand at the fireplace. "Incendio." Red and orange flames lit up magnificently. "Now, form two lines all of you. Don't separate by houses. I want to see some friendship and teamwork in this class."

After several groans from all students, some Slytherins paired up with Ravenclaws, forming two lines as told. Hermione looked around in hopes that one of her friends was free; Cepheus was pairing with Ursulla and all other Ravenclaws had partners. Except for Penelope, who was looking around frantically. Hermione smiled and began to walk toward her, but a strong grip on her wrist pushed her back.