chapter twenty one

21 x rising stakes

>>

[ Third Person POV ]

The Red Skull was ordering men about, sending them out at separate, spontaneous times. He could see some of the Avengers in his monitoring screens, but unfortunately the security cameras didn't cover much ground. It was enough that he could see Kravinoff going down because of the Winter Soldier . . . 

"You," Red Skull said, waving one of the last groups of men out the door, "go."

They all rushed to obey, marching off at a brisk pace, weapons in their hands, determination steeling their faces. 

Everything in the room began to go quiet when the sound of their men being taken out could be heard; shouts going muffled, blasts going awry, their soldiers audibly losing. 

A super was approaching, that much was obvious. Red Skull couldn't tell which; there were no truly distinguishable sounds being made. But all the same, a devilish smile began to lift his lips, his eyes darkening as he waved the rest of his men out.

Those ones left with much more hesitance, but they did leave. They feared their boss far too much to actually disobey his orders . . . even if it meant facing unavoidable pain via an Avenger. 

Red Skull merely grinned. Whoever it was coming his way . . . he had no true concern.

>>

[ Different Location ]

Steve was jogging through the halls of the facility, shield on his arm, determination steeled within him. So far, the halls he'd passed through the further he got into the building . . . they were either empty, or the men that were present were unconscious. 

Vision floated beside him, matching his pace as they made their way through. The android had been acting as his guide; he'd apparently figured out where the Red Skull was, and was now taking them there.

"This is it," Vision declared, landing on the floor beside a passage with a metal door. "Would you like to do the honors, Captain?" he asked, indicating the huge metal lock that prevented them from entering.

Steve let a small smile lift his lips. "As usual, it'd be my pleasure." He slammed the shield against the lock forcefully, breaking it to pieces and kicking the door open with ease.

He and Vision entered, prepared for a fight, for shots, for anything . . .  

But the room was empty.

"Vision," Steve began to say, turning toward the android with a furrowed brow.

"This was his given location, Captain," Vision answered before the question could even be posed. His gaze swept the room before focusing in on the ceiling. He nodded toward where natural light was flooding in; "It would appear he has escaped."

Steve clenched his jaw. "Of course he did."

Vision was silent then, still observing the room, when he cleared his throat and shifted his gaze to Steve. "Captain . . ."

When Steve made eye contact with him, Vision's gaze shifted. Steve followed it, and his eyes widened, his chest tightening. Vision had discovered a red and blue boot, not unlike one matching the uniform of one of their newest members. 

Before he can open his mouth, Evangeline came bursting into the room, shouting, "Spider-Man! Spidey! You idiot--" She came to an abrupt stop when she saw the other two heroes, forcing a small smile to her lips. "Oh hi, guys," she said awkwardly. "Either of you seen . . ."

Except she trailed off, her dark green eyes locking on the boot in a fraction of a second. Her eyes widened to the size of saucers, and almost immediately vines began to creep up the walls, her chest visibly rising and falling rapidly as she began to hyperventilate. "I--he--Peter?" she breathed, glancing between Steve and Vision desperately. "He--he can't . . ."

Steve could've sworn his heart broke at the look on Evangeline's face; he recognized that look. Her eyes were already beginning to redden as tears threatened to spill down her face. Before he could make any move, be it to comfort her or reassure her that everything'll be fine, Megan, Bucky, and the twins came upon the room.

Megan was the first to catch sight of the trembling Evangeline, and she moved toward her young trainee instinctively, mouth opening about to ask what's wrong, when Wanda answers her unspoken message.

"Peter is missing," Wanda states, staring steadily at Vision, before her attention sweeps to Evangeline. "The Red Skull . . ."

Megan's eyes widened in understanding. She took a step toward Ev, determined to comfort her, when Ev let out a loud sob, and vines began to invade the room at a rapid pace. An emotional response because of Evangeline's distress, her powers acting out--

Pietro pulled Megan back and away from Ev as she cried, and Megan looked very much like she was about to argue with him over his actions, when Wanda stepped toward the sobbing young teen. The Scarlet Witch placed a gentle hand on the red head's shoulder, her eyes blazing crimson.

Everyone watched mutely as Ev's eyes too turned red, before she began to calm . . . before she goes completely silent. Wanda wrapped an arm around Ev's shoulders, and turned her sharp gaze to the captain. "Something is going on, and some of you know, while the rest of us do not. Who would like to share?" she asked, her crisp accent breaking the silence primly.

It was Bucky who answered. "Red Skull's always been after Steve for his blood. Wants to make a perfect army," he began to explain slowly. "Peter's got his own enemies that have similar ideas . . . turns out Red Skull's fine with using Peter's blood to make an army, in place of Steve's."

Wanda studied his face solemnly, before turning to Steve. "We need to find this villain, and Peter. His life may very well be at stake."

Steve nodded in quick agreement, "We do. But we can't do that here. We need to get back to the Tower." His attention shifted to Ev. "Do you . . ."

"I will be able to handle Evangeline until we are back at the Tower," Wanda said shortly. "Megan, if you would not mind accompanying me . . . the rest of you can round up our team."

Megan nodded and wrapped an arm around Evangeline's waist, and the two left.

The stakes were now higher.

Which was exactly what their enemy had wanted, they now realized.