34: Skating Adventures

I walked out of my house with my skates in my bag and shuffled inside Brook's car.

"That took long." Brook grumbled as she started the car. 

"It almost made Kyle piss his pants." Mikey added, teasing Kyle.

Kyle only rolled his eyes. "Are you okay? Your cheeks are red." He gently put the back of his hand on my cheek.

"Yeah, I'm fine, it was just hot in my house." I said, gently tugging at my warm coat.

Kyle nodded, and we were driving to Rockefeller Center. We pulled up, and despite the season almost being Christmas, we got a parking space. Spy advantage, I was willing to bet. The streets of New York City was busy as ever, with concrete covered with trash and tar and the honking from cars all around, but I loved it. The excitement in the city was contagious, the skyscrapers glinting at us with their lights and the famous Christmas tree twinkling as if covered in pixie dust. I wasn't likely to forget this scene: Brook and Mikey walking ahead, laughing at each other like the adorable siblings they are, with the sky turning purple on the edges but the majority of it still a dreamy pastel pink, and the enchanting city lights surrounding us as Kyle, the boy I loved so much, grinned back at me, as if he understood exactly what I was feeling, because he was feeling it too.

Kyle outstretched his hand, and I grabbed it, our cold hands fitting together to warm each other. I wasn't someone who loved holding hands, but with him, it was different.

"Ready to go skating?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Hell yeah." I replied, feeling like a kid again. I hadn't skated since I was, I don't remember, in 6th grade? But I've always loved it. I couldn't do spins or tricks, but just gliding on the ice made me feel like I could glide a million miles an hour, forever. 

I looked up at Kyle, his blonde hair curling by his ear and nape, his beanie covering up the ruffle atop his head. I leaned up and twirled my finger with the hair by his ear.

"Your hair's the longest I've ever seen it." 

"Yeah, I need a haircut." He said, tucking the strands by his ear.

"No, I like it this way. Long and curly." I said, and he smiled at me.

"Yeah? Well then I won't cut it only you tell me to." 

"I have that much control?" I said, feigning my shock with a hand on my chest.

He smirked. "Of course. This," He pointed to his head, "is all yours."

"Then this," I said, holding up a bunch of my hair, "is yours too."

"I like it long as well, shiny and long." He said, grabbing the back of my head and planting a swift kiss on my hair. "Just don't dye it, I love your hair color. Reminds me of a milk chocolate truffle with caramel filling."

I giggled and took the ends of my hair and shook it, as if it was waving. "Aye, aye, sir." I said in a high-pitched voice, like my hair was talking.

Kyle laughed. "You really are brilliant."

I continued with my hair-talk: "Why thank you sir."

He chuckled again, and walked more purposefully to the skate park. "Come on."

After all of us had gotten our skates on, Mikey and Brook ran past and immediately started speed skating across the rink. I watched them, impressed at their incredibly fast movements and abilty to dodge civilians so effectively, and turned back to Kyle, who was trying to walk in his skates.

"Come on, slow poke." I teased, and stepped onto the rink. The feeling of the smooth ice under my feet caught me off guard for a moment, but I steadied myself, and remembered the times I had gone ice skating in my childhood. I started gliding, and just as I turned around to see where Kyle was, I heard a loud thump as someone tall fell over, right smack onto their butt.