Chapter 15

Jax was driving around aimlessly wondering yet again if Dani had really seen the dreams of the Maestro. If she wasn't lying, wouldn't it mean that she had touched him recently? Maybe even knew him?

"You don't believe in that kind of mumbo jumbo," Jax reminded himself.

Still, he couldn't stop himself from pulling into the parking lot of King's Diner before he headed home. When he saw Dani approaching, he smiled, "Hello Panda Eyes."

Dani's eyes narrowed, "What do you want?"

"Nothing. Can't a boyfriend come in and greet his girlfriend?"

"G-girlfriend?" Dolores, the other waitress sputtered before she could seat Jax. She turned to Dani, "Is he really your boyfriend?"

"Yes," Jax answered.

"No," Dani said loudly. "He's not even a friend."

"Oh," Dolores looked at Jax, "You're handsome but if you're crazy it's a deal breaker."

"Don't worry. I'm not crazy," Jax winked.

"Yes, you are. You're crazy handsome. I'll take it that you're her boyfriend and you two just had a spat. Buy her some jewelry. We women like that and she might forgive you."

Jax grinned, "Yes ma'am."

Twenty minutes of watching her move from one customer to another earned him a dirty look from Dani and a concerned look from Dolores. Finally, Dani sat across from him in his booth.

"I'm on break and I don't have much time. What do you want?" she asked in a no-nonsense tone.

"I want to talk to you about your...dreams," Jax answered honestly. "The Maestro killed again. I'm not sure if I believe all your dream catcher talk but you did help catch that gangster and who knows? Maybe you can help with this guy too. Tell me everything you saw in your dream."

"One, it was a nightmare. Two, I never said I'd help you."

Jax frowned, "Women are dying out there."

"So are men," Dani countered. "My friend Billy could be dead now because you didn't want to help me."

"Look Panda Eyes, I don't exactly have all the time in the world to look for a missing friend. If I didn't have this murderer to catch, then maybe I could help you out."

Dani bit her lip to stop herself from lashing out, "Fair enough. You're too busy to help Billy. Well I'm too busy to help you, too."

"Fine," he gave a disgruntled sigh. "I'll help you with your friend. Do we have a deal?" Jax extended his hand for her to shake it.

Dani stared at his hand before looking up, "You want me to see your fears too?"

"I don't scare easily."

She refused to shake his hand and he slowly retracted it before giving a curt nod, "Okay, Panda Eyes. Tell me what you know about your friend Billy."

"Are you going to keep calling me Panda Eyes?"

"Why not? We're friends now, aren't we? I'm helping you. You're going to help me. Friends give each other nicknames, don't they?"

"Is that so?"

"Yes, it is. So tell me everything you know about Billy, Panda Eyes."

Dani leaned forward and smiled, "Anything you say, Apple Jax."