Chapter Forty Six

Chapter Forty Six

Lienna

Life in the palace without Jane and Thor was incredibly boring. Perhaps it was only that way because I did not have to deal with the stress of being Chosen or wedding preparations and I was finally living a normal life. Either way, it was about to drive me insane.

Loki noticed, and, to my utter annoyance, he found it to be funny. The God of Mischief was all fun and games until he was your husband.

My stir-craziness was the source of all his entertainment; if it weren't for me, he'd be acting the same way.

"Oh, Lienna, you're acting as if sitting around is a punishment we were doomed to for all our life," Loki said, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

I sighed, not stopping myself from staring out the window as I had been. "Palaces seem to be endlessly fun until you live there."

He rested his head on my shoulder. "We certainly do not have to stay here, Lienna. I could have a new palace built just for you, so you could sulk around in a new one."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, and while you're at it, build me an empire to run. At least then I'll be doing something."

"If you're really that bitter about relaxing while I'm off on official business, make some friends."

I pulled out of his arms and turned to face him. "Ah, yes. Making friends. My favorite thing in the whole wide world." He smirked at my sarcasm. "Loki, you don't even have friends."

He put his hands on his hips and pouted. "I have you, don't I?"

"If you and I are friends, the definition of friendship has become more romantic than I remember."

It was his turn to roll his eyes. "You're plain awful at being a friend. If it bothers you that much, I was actually planning to take you out as a surprise today."

I was about to yell at him for messing with me, but the idea of getting out of the palace with Loki was too tantalizing. "Odin's beard, Loki, you're so difficult but thoughtful it's hard to be mad at you!"

He smiled. "I like to think it's my most admirable quality. Now, go get ready. I don't believe you want to miss this."

I kissed his cheek and went away to get ready. Bless him, and his annoyingly romantic attitude.

××××××

Loki and I found ourselves wandering through the village, enjoying the familiar sights and sounds. He excitedly pulled me into one of the most anticipated art galleries in Asgard. I had no idea Loki loved art so much, so I gave in to see why he was so excited.

We wandered through the rooms of paintings, tapestries, and sculptures, discussing and admiring the works.

"The palace and the city seem to be two different but coexisting worlds," I said, watching a woman with her children as they looked at the art. "These people have almost no idea what happened with Ander, but they still identify as members of the Asgardian kingdom."

"People feel a need, a basic human desire to follow a leader. They're happy to lead their own lives but they want their lives to count for something greater. They want to be a part of something bigger. Somewhere along the span of time, far before you and I, they chose someone they thought was special that they could follow."

I nodded, pondering his words. Loki was incredibly smart when it came to people and power, and I found it slightly terrifying. He understood the nature of people and how having power over them worked, but Loki was exactly the type to abuse power.

"Now, the people leading others have the same craving for a leader that everyone else does, but they have no one to look to. That's why alot of them become insane; they abuse their power. The people who crave power, most of them don't understand why it can be awful in the wrong hands. They don't understand why it rightfully belongs to one and not the other-"

His fists were clenched tightly. Loki had a distant, bitter look in his eyes; one that I knew was dangerous. Not now, Loki. Not here.

I slipped my hand into his, praying it would remind him where we were.

For a moment it seemed like he was about to break; the carefully crafted cover was about to shatter and he would lose his calm in front of the children. Then, the look in his eyes softened, and I quietly sighed in relief.

"I- I'm sorry," Loki whispered.

"Do not worry too much, love," I replied gently. "Relax, enjoy yourself, show me your favorite art pieces. It's rather precious."

He nodded. Suddenly anything about him that would lead you to believe he was about to snap disappeared.

He grinned widely as if he had suddenly remembered why he was here. Loki pointed at a portrait across the room. "Somehow, it's not as beautiful as the original."

I followed his gesture until I saw the painting he was talking about. My jaw dropped.

It was a magnificent painting of me. Even more strange, I could pinpoint the moment that was captured in the picture. My head was tilted back slightly, long, black hair falling just past my shoulders like an ebony waterfall. A smile was spread across my face, and my eyes were peacefully closed. I could hear Thor's and my laughter from the moment, feel the warmth of the restaurant I was in and Loki's cold hand in mine just as it was now. It was from our wedding night; the best night of my life.

I had so many questions and things I wanted to say that none of them would come out correctly.

Loki smirked, understanding what I meant to say perfectly. "No, I didn't paint it, but I did have personal input. It's my favorite memory, from our wedding night; I simply couldn't stop thinking about that moment, how perfect you looked. I know, I'm a terribly romantic and devilish man."

"Yes, you are, and I wouldn't ask for anyone else," I replied, still a bit flustered and happy. "Though you are a bit more devilish than you say."

"You're almost as terrible as me," Loki said, his smirk almost unbelievable.

"Thanks," I said, matching his smirk. "I learn from the best."

He winked at me. "We should make our way back now."

"Why?" I asked. I wasn't quite sure I wanted to leave this moment yet.

"Because I want to kiss you, but there are children around."

"As if that has ever stopped you before," I quipped. To think that Loki had suddenly found the decency to keep his love life out of the public seemed unfathomable.

"Please, Lienna. The one time I try to have concern for innocent eyes and you don't like it."

I laughed. "Take me away, if that's your wish."

"Of course, my princess," he said, bowing.

In the blink of an eye, we stood in our room. The light of the evening had disappeared and night had settled outside the window.

"Did you do that?" I asked Loki, gesturing at the sudden nightfall.

He glanced at the window. "No, of course not. That's not possible."

Loki didn't seem too bothered by it, so I pushed it to the back of my mind, letting myself relax in his embrace.

These nights were the reason I held on so tightly to my sanity and peace. Without them, my longing for Jane and Thor as well as a child of my own would swallow me whole.

××××××

-

-

-

-

So this is sorta fluffy but has important details mixed in (because I'm sneaky)

Also, Chosen is almost to 90k reads and one year of existence! August 9, save the date ;) (just kidding) But there will be a special update to commemorate the event!

Lots of love,
katiethenovelist :)