Chapter 7

I gently opened my eyes, and I couldn't move. Akihiko's arms were wrapped around me. I was in an awkward position, and his embrace was too strong.

I will try and see if I can slip out.

Ugh, I couldn't.

His grip is too tight. I don't want to try anymore, and I don't want to wake him up. This feels really weird. I'll just close my eyes and wait...

I should pretend to be asleep.

___________

I waited for a few minutes, and I couldn't go back to sleep. Come on! He even placed a pillow in between us.

This guy...seriously...what should I do...with you?

Hmm...huh...Now that I can see him up close, Akihiko is very good looking. He has a chiseled face, nicely shaped lips and long lashes. He looks peaceful when he is sleeping. Why the heck am I checking him out for? He's a guy...

I should stop looking and continue pretending to be asleep.

Akihiko exhaled heavily and grunted.

Finally, he is waking up.

I had one of my eyes a bit open. I could see that he woke up and looked surprised in his current position. Akihiko quickly removed his arms around me and then started shaking me.

Akihiko: Oi, Harumi. It's time to get up! We a long day ahead of us. Wake up!

I acted as if I just woke up. I yawned and stretched my arms.

Harumi: Good morning, Akihiko. Did you get a good night sleep?

Akihiko immediately got out of the bed and avoided my eyes.

Akihiko: I didn't sleep well. You moved too much so now my back hurts.

Who the heck are you to complain? My body was in an uncomfortable position. My whole body ached too because of you.

Akihiko: I'll go first to the bathroom. You can go right after. I'll be done in a bit.

Akihiko started taking his sleeping clothes up to his underwear.

He didn't have to do that in front of me. Like Yuu, he has a well built body and a rush of heat came to my cheeks.

WHAT THE HECK AM I THINKING?!

What is wrong with me?

My random thoughts are really embarrassing.

Harumi: Okay...

Akihiko finished, and I started taking a shower. Right after, I got ready, and Akihiko rushed me to go to the training ground with him.

____________

Akihiko: Since I have finished all my assignments yesterday, I have two weeks to solely focus on training you. First, we're going to run ten miles. We need to increase your stamina so that your body can hold high levels of mana. After all, you just started learning about magic, and you didn't come from a family of wizards. Anyway, any physical training will enhance. Let's start!

I started running with Akihiko on the field.

Akihiko: Keep up with the pace, don't slow down!

Harumi: OKAY!

I can do this.

After five miles, I was panting hard, and my legs were becoming numb.

Harumi: Akihiko, I don't think I can run anymore. I can't even feel my legs.

Akihiko: WHAT?! We're just getting started. Um...okay...I guess we can rest for a bit and then move on to the next item on your training list.

Akihiko went to the drinking fountain and poured water on to his head. He took off his shirt, and the water dripped down to the rest of his body. The rays of the sun made his body sparkle. I was staring at him, and I suddenly got nervous.

What is this feeling?

Akihiko: Are you gonna drink or something? You need to keep yourself hydrated. This is going to be a long day. Um...also, stop with your creepy stares. It's weird.

Harumi: Oh...I'm sorry.

I was flustered that he caught me checking him out. I drank some water and we moved to a different area at the training grounds.

___________

Akihiko: Okay, let's start practicing on casting spells. Show me what you have learned so far.

Harumi: Alright, let see...visualize...and cast...Fireball!

A slightly bigger pea-sized fireball emerged from my magic circle. I could tell that Akihiko was forcing himself not to laugh.

Akihiko: I can tell that the fireball was slightly bigger. That's...um...an improvement. You have to increase your physical stamina and endurance and your mental focus and concentration. I know exactly what we need to do. We'll start running ten miles a day, an hour of weight lifting, two hours of self-study and another two hours of practicing magic.

Harumi: That's quite a lot...but if that's what it takes to be a wizard. I'll work harder. Thanks, Akihiko.

I smiled at Akihiko and he blushed out of the blue.

Akihiko: Um...ah...cast the spell again.

I casted fireball with the same result.

Akihiko: Alright, I see that you have a problem with your stance. I'll show you the proper stance to cast a spell. First, maintain a good posture and swing your arm straight to cast the magic circle, like this. Then, cast the spell. Got it?

Harumi: I think so, let me try.

I tried to imitate Akihiko's demonstration.

Akihiko: No, no! You're doing it wrong. Here, hold on.

I could tell that he forced himself not to get angry. He let out a heavy sigh. He walked towards me, went behind me and positioned my back. Then, he grabbed my hand.

Akihiko: Your posture should be straight like this--and then, when you're visualizing the magic circle, you swing you arm like this. You got it?

Akihiko was way too close. I looked at his eyes, and I immediately looked away.

Again, there was a sudden rush of heat to my cheeks.

Harumi: Akihiko, you...are...too close.

Akihiko: Oh, sorry. Was I invading your space? I just want to properly teach you, and you keep doing it wrong.

Harumi: Okay...I guess it's fine. Is it like this?

Akihiko: Yea, something like that. Just keep practicing, and it will become second nature to you.

Akihiko's attitude changed. He was still strict but he didn't get that mad or irritated. I wondered what caused him to change. I was unsure.

I was thinking that he was just holding his anger in and then...I would be surprised that one day he would explode.

I'm still thankful that he is taking my training seriously and being very diligent.

Now, I don't want to disappoint him. He's trying to do his best, and I am in no position to slack off.