Chapter 15

Every exit was blocked. There was no way out. I was going to die in here. I was going to burn to death. I heard that’s the worst way to go. Because it hurts and you’re still alive until the very last second, unless you pass out from the gases. For a second, I thought about just sticking my head into the thick black smoke building around the ceiling but quickly shook the thought away. I have to at least try.

Looking around the room, I looked for once last chance of escape. There was a small opening through two pieces of logs that leads to the window behind my bed. The problem? The two pieces of logs are on fire.

I knew nobody realized that my cabin was on fire yet or else there would be shouting from outside. How long does it take for someone to realize that a cabin in on fire?

Another piece of my roof fell behind me, almost hitting me. I realized that that window was my only way of exit and that I needed to hurry before it got blocked off.

Grabbing the blanket that was lying at my feet, I wrapped it around me and braced myself.

On the count of three, I ran through the two pieces of logs and jumped out of the window. It was hot, then it was sharp, then cold air hit me like walking into an air conditioned room on a hot, hot day.

My eyes watered from all of the smoke and I crawled away from my cabin, resting at the edge of the forest. The cold, damp earth felt so much better against my skin so I scampered a bit deep, lying against a tree for support.

A twig snapped behind me and I froze, not moving, not breathing.

“What was that?”

I recognized the voice as Drew’s.

“It sounded like glass breaking,” said a new voice. Damien’s.

“Dude, what if…”

“Relax,” Damien said in annoyance. “Glass breaks all the time in fires. Don’t you watch TV shows?”

“Maybe we should call for some help,” Drew said.

It sounded like Damien smacked Drew. “Are you crazy? We could get into so much deep sh-t.”

“Yeah but if she di—”

“She’s not going to die. Relax man, we’re just having some fun.”

Anger flooded through me. So they set my cabin on fire? What the heck were wrong with those two? I felt a bit relieved because they didn’t realize I was within footsteps from them, but still angry. My head felt a bit light. I needed to calm down.

A new voice entered the conversation.

“What are you two doing?”

It was Nate.

“Nothing,” Damien said.

“Is something burning?”

“No,” Damien and Drew both said at once.

“Yes it is. What’s burning?” Nate demanded.

Damien and Drew didn’t say anything.

“Holy sh…” Nate says. “Is that Sarah’s cabin?”

Silence.

“Is – that – Sarah’s – cabin?” Nate demanded.

“So what if it is?” Damien laughed. “She was going to get us all in trouble.”

“So you decide to kill her?!”

“Hey!” Damien said, his voice serious this time. “I can’t afford to get into trouble anymore okay. They’re going to send me to real jail next time. No more juvie for me.”

“If you don’t want to get in trouble, then don’t do stupid things!” Nate shouted. “Now, get out of my way.”

My head started to hurt a bit. It still felt light from before, but now there was too much shouting. It was too loud.

Damien laughed again. “I’m afraid I can’t let you do that, bro.”

“Excuse me?”

“You can’t go.”

“You’re not going to tell me what to do, Damien,” Nate spat.

There was a small grunt and some shuffling of leaves. I assumed Nate pushed Damien.

“Dude, what’s your problem? That chick’s a total loser. Even you said you hated her,” Damien said.

“Things change,” Nate retorted.

Another silence, then Damien started laughing.

“Oh my god. Drew. Are you hearing this? I think Nate’s in love.”

Drew laughed nervously. He probably didn’t want to get mixed up in this. I know I wouldn’t.

“What’s wrong Nathan? You in love with Sarah? You wanna marry her?”

“Grow up Damien,” Nate hissed. His voice sounded scary, even from where I was sitting.

“You know what’s going to happen to her? She’s going to pass out from all the gases and eventually, she’s just going to drift off and never come back. Or, even better, that flames eat her alive. What’s going to be left of her when you find her, Nate? Nothing but ashes. Ashes and—”

Thud.

Something hit the ground and I had to restrain myself to see what happened.

“Nate!” Drew shouted. “You…”

“He’ll come around,” Nate said dismissively. “Now, are you going to let me go, or am I going to have to get through you too?”

Before Drew could answer, there was a shrill scream from my cabin. Somebody found out about the fire.

“Sarah?” Nate said frantically.

It’s not me, I wanted to say. I’m fine.

Another scream. This time, louder.

“Sarah? Sarah!”

Footsteps ran to the direction of my cabin, passing me by just a few metres.

“Nate,” I called quietly, but it was drowned by the loud screaming.

More screams filled the air.

Suddenly, the situation was very funny to me. They were all screaming, but none of them made a move to save me from the fire. If I was in there, I would’ve been dead by now. Thankfully, I’m not.

Laughing hysterically to myself, my sides started hurting. Then, for the second time this week, stars flashed around in my head before I sank into darkness, and the last thing I heard was Nate shouting again, “Sarah!”

 ----------------------------------

there are like 3 chapters left. that is all.

have an awesome weekend!

and also, vote/comment pleaseeeee :D