Chapter Three: Give me a reason [EDITED]

Chapter Three:

“You’ve been able to do that since grade six camp?” He asks. He uses his left hand to shove too many french fries into his mouth. His right hand is tightly gripped around his cup well he laughs at my answer.

When he laughs he makes his noise that is so cute it could melt you into a billion pieces but I try to ignore it as long as I can. “This is delicious by the way, good choice.”

I sit and watch him eat, dipping my own french fries in a container of honey mustard sauce. “What’s with the sauce?”

I look at the container and then back to him with a smile on my face. “I don’t like ketchup.”

We ate in silence for a while and I didn’t mind. I certainly wasn’t planning on having a dinner date so it was nice to have the silence even in his company. He looks up from his plate and lets out a small laugh, shaking his head slightly.

“What?” he asks clearly catching me staring at him for longer than I should have.

“I’m very confused.” I say simply because frankly I was.

“Why’s that exactly?” He smirks at me and I can’t help but feel a tickle in the pit of my stomach as he does causing me to smile back.

“Who the hell are you?” I spit out, I don’t mean to ask so bluntly but it slips from my tongue that way.

I expect him to be offended but instead he just laughs. “Niall, you know my name. Isn’t that enough for now?”

He takes a sip of his drink and looks past me into the shadows of the diner. Taking in all his surroundings of the quiet place. The dim light and small windows that enclose us provide little to no light. We had sat in a booth under a circular swinging light, it faces the front door; it chimes as people pass through it.

“You really think that would be enough?” I blurt out. “Frankly you seem a little creepy. Silently watching me practice and following me home in blacked out SUVs.”

“Well you are stubborn, pushy even and you love to show off. I’m still enjoying my dinner aren’t you?”

I stare at him for a moment, very unsure of what to say next. I am so angry that he assumes those traits of me but he’s right so I feel the need to stay quiet. “If you knew me well enough you would know I’m not a single one of those things.

I take another bite of my hamburger and watch as he shakes his head sitting back into his chair. He just smiles at me and it makes me so uneasy.

“Well ask me,” he says, I scowl at him. “Ask me what you want to ask me.”

“Why were you so determined to have dinner with me?” I eat the last few french fries on my plate just trying to stop from talking so he could answer me.

“Because you wouldn’t come.”

He looks at me seriously, his eyes drain into this dark blue, grey color and I almost get lost in them as they do. I am completely entranced by his facial features that I forget we are sitting in a restaurant, in public.

“Challenges are my favorite thing.”

“And you say I’m pushing,” I bite my lip and smile this time. I wasn’t used to them coming so easy to my face and I almost felt the need to hide it. With all the stress I had been under, I force smiles more often than none.

My phone buzzes in my pocket more than once during our dinner but I wasn’t rude enough to pull it out while he was talking. It was most likely Maggie anyways, checking on my mental state after practice. I was better than expected though, almost excited for try outs rather than nervous.