Chapter 8

I've been training with Akihiko for two weeks now. My magic progress wasn't doing good. My fireball spell has improved--from a pea-sized fireball to potato-sized. According to Akihiko, my magic is still under Class F level.

Fireball is the only spell I know!

What should I do?

I've been following Akihiko and doing all his assignments, yet I'm still not improving.

I miss Yuu. I haven't seen him in two weeks. I'm curious on what he's up to. I want to know how he's doing...We live right next to each other, yet I never see him. Yuu is a busy guy after all. He's doing his best to be on top...and I should too.

_________

On top of that, I had been sleeping with Akihiko for two weeks. I wanted to go see Yuu but Akihiko didn't allow me to go and see him. Even so, every time I tried to visit Yuu's room, he wasn't there.

I feel like Akihiko is being too possessive for some weird reason. I just can't wrap my head around it. In order to avoid unnecessary arguments, I just let Akihiko have his way.

I have about one week left until Sebastian checks on my progress. My magic level has to improve by at least a Class C level. At this point, I'm still at Class F level.

I am on the brink of just giving up, but Akihiko is doing his best to train me. I don't want to let him down. Also, my family just want me to succeed and the best for me.

I just don't know what else to do but hope for a miracle to happen.

Akihiko: Hey, Harumi, are you alright? You seem to be out of it today. Do you want a rest day? I know that we've been working hard these past two weeks.

Harumi: Um...I was just thinking that we've been training and all that...but my magic hasn't improve...

Akihiko: I've been thinking about that too. If you don't improve your magic by at least to a Class C level, you'll be expelled and have your magic abilities removed. We absolutely don't want to fail. I will try to find a way somehow.

Akihiko paused for a bit and became serious. He looked like he was in deep thought.

Akihiko: We have to find the fastest way for you to improve your magic. We only have less than a week. I cannot afford to fail and especially failing to help you. I'm your mentor after all. Let's go to the library and find something.

Akihiko gathered his things, and we walked to the library.

____________

We arrived at the library and Akihiko quickly rushed towards the bookshelves. I could see that Akihiko is getting desperate. I could feel it.

Being with him for about three weeks, He is the type of person that doesn't want to fail. He is a model student, and I guess it's bad for his image for failing an underclassman. I wonder what I can do to help. We've been training a lot. I am crossing my fingers that he has something in his mind that can help me.

Akihiko kept grabbing books and sifted through each one. He took a couple of books and carried them over to our table.

Akihiko: it will be faster if we work together. Help me search through these books. Find something along the lines of Magic Awakening, Amplifying Magic and Magic Transferring.

Harumi: Oh okay...I'll do it.

I was motivated and grabbed the books. I searched through each one, and I couldn't find anything.

Akihiko: Did you find anything?

Harumi: No...

Akihiko: All these spells require magic tools and equipment. It would be obvious if you have them--plus, that's not allowed. Oh! I remember something. Let's check out the Ancient Magic section. The spells are traditional and don't require the use of modern magic tools. They might have something there. Ancient Magic uses a peculiar cryptic language, and it's very challenging to decipher--might as well try all our options, right?

Harumi: Yea...you're right.

I followed Akihiko, and he grabbed an ancient magic spell book. He went through it and paused for a long time. All of a sudden, his serious face turned into excitement.

Akihiko: WOAH! I think I found something that would work. Let me see if I can translate this. Ancient texts are very complex and use a lot of symbolism. Here, it says Link Magic...mainly used for wars...where wizards link their mana to other wizards ...transferring their magic energy...and thus enhancing the recipient's magic power. That's it! I'm going to take this book with me, and I'll try to cast this spell to you. Let's go to our room.

Akihiko was enthusiastic. He grabbed my hand, and we ran to our room.

__________

I have no idea what Akihiko is planning to do. I have a bad feeling about this but I will trust him. He is only trying to help me. The only thing that I can do is to be supportive.

We got to our room, and Akihiko quickly opened the book and started deciphering the spell.

Akihiko: This looks like a high level magic spell. The magic circle is intricately constructed. Harumi, come here. I'll try it out.

I came over, and Akihiko took my hands. He cast the spell. T magic circle appeared and quickly dissipated.

Akihiko: WHAT THE HECK?! It didn't work. Let me cast it again.

Akihiko repeatedly cast the spell with the same result. He was getting frustrated.

Akihiko: Why is it not working? I'm pretty sure I'm casting it correctly. Ugh, maybe, I need to focus more. Let me try one more time.

It didn't work.

Akihiko: What the hell?! What is wrong?! Maybe this magic requires some kind of a prerequisite spell, an item or something else.

Akihiko grabbed the ancient magic book and looked closely on the page.

Akihiko: Hold on, it says something about a sort of exchange of something...what the hell could it be?!

Akihiko was getting annoyed, and he continued to read and think about what the ancient text said.

Akihiko: A blood pact? Huh? I am not so sure. The symbols here look like two people who are exchanging a fluid-like substance. That's probably it--a blood pact.