Chapter 12: Too Late

Shout out to my two new followers! AndreaVega1 and Malaikahan99! I love you guys!

___________________________

(Damen's P.O.V.) 

I watched Cassidy turn and run. I called out for her to stop but she ignored me, not that I blamed her, I was a jerk. Since the moment I laid my eyes on her tonight I have felt our bond reforming. I could feel her sadness through the bond; it felt like my chest was clenched. It physically pained me to see her in such distress, and knowing I was the cause was making it worse. 

Questions after question flew around in my mind. Why didn't she just tell me she was a shifter? Well, I guess I knew the answer to that one: because I rejected her and she thought I didn't want her because of solely that. Why did she hide that she could shift in the first place? How did she even mask her scent? That was an extremely rare gift to have. How did she get so strong and so powerful? Why didn't she smell like a rogue? Was she part of a pack? The pack that, that mutt who hugged her is a part of? Where was she staying? How will I find her again? What if she leaves? Will she reject me again?  

All the questions made my chest clench further. Even the idea of her rejecting me for a second time made my wolf whimper inside of me. I don't think he would survive if she did. While I was contemplating all these questions I suddenly felt something clamp down on my neck. I reached up to touch my neck and felt nothing there. Strange.... Then it dawned on me. It wasn't me who was feeling the pain! It was Cassidy. I quickly bolted from my spot in the club and ran out the door. I vaguely heard Oliver and Sam following behind me, accompanied by another set of footsteps. I didn't care who, all I could concentrate on was finding my mate.  

I had picked up her scent and was racing through town when I felt it. Black dots started to cloud my vision and I collapsed onto my knees. What was happening? It felt as if I was going to pass out and I fell sideways onto the sidewalk. I blurrily saw Oliver and Sam worrying over me, but my focus was on Cassidy. 

Then the last thing I expected happened. 

I felt the bond break. 

The only way that could happen was if Cassidy died.  

My wolf howled out in pain, and then I blacked out. 

(Riley's P.O.V.) 

Cassidy's performance of her song was one of the most amazing things I had ever witnessed. The whole crowd was silent once she started. They were all transfixed by her heartfelt words. Though I knew that the song had some heart wrenching tale behind it, she wouldn't admit to it. I would never push her into telling me anything either. But when she stiffened on stage like that, it almost looked like she had seen a ghost. She lost a bit of the color in her usually rosy cheeks. She scanned the crowd and when her eyes landed on something she looked murderous. When I turned to see who or what she was looking at I noticed one of three things. There was another Alpha male, radiating immense power, here in the club. This immediately set my wolf on edge, if he were to challenge Phillip, Phillip would most definitely lose. Another thing I noticed was this Alpha was flanked by another wolf; he looked like he was a pack fighter. He was muscular and his face shown no emotion except seriousness. The last thing I noticed was how the Alpha was looking at Cassidy. He almost looked like he was looking at his other half.... At his mate.  

Was he the thing Cassidy was running from? Why she had so suddenly showed up in town? Why she was so hesitant about letting people in? It took Phillip and I close to three months to even get her to warm up to us. If she was this Alpha's mate why would she even be here? And not at his side? Alpha mates are extremely protective of their mates, usually not letting them out of their sight. It was rare to see Phillip without Jane, unless he was here at the club and Jane was taking care of my precious little goddaughter Heather.  

I glanced back at Cassidy and noticed that she was standing there with her eyes closed taking deep breaths - calming her wolf? Her wolf had to be fighting her for control if that was her mate... Our wolves want nothing more than to be with one another, they belong to each other. That's why it's rare to see a couple who aren't actual mates. I then glanced back to the mysterious Alpha and I saw his face change from pure adoration to the look of a sad puppy. I was about to approach him when Cassidy announced that the song she was about to sing was dedicated to someone here in the audience.  

It was then I knew that he was what the song was about. The song was about a her not letting him off the hook so easily. The Alpha looked devastated while Cassidy was singing. My hunch must be correct then. I couldn't wait to see how this played out then. Cassidy would never let him off the hook because if this song was gave any inkling about her internal pain, that Alpha was in for a rough ride.  

Fast forward to her finishing her performance and exiting the stage. I intercepted her and pulled her in for one of the bone crushing hugs I was known for. I heard a low growl from the direction of the Alpha but it didn't seem like Cassidy had. She was too focused on some other guy on the other side of the bar. As she left me and approached him for the second time tonight, yes I saw the first encounter also; she once again grabbed this poor unfortunate soul by the collar and hoisted him up in the air. The man looked scared shitless, I felt kind of bad for him.  

I watched the scene unplay before my eyes. Cassidy tormented that man and as she faked leaving she whipped around and kicked him. Hard. Twice. Ouch... Then as she was actually going to leave she ran into who I can only assume is her mate. They argued for a good fifteen minutes before I saw Cassidy start to back up. The Alpha looked pissed but Cassidy looked pissed and upset, like on the verge of tears upset. She ran from the club at inhuman speed and left the Alpha standing there in shock. Though that Alpha radiated power, he acted weak.  

After a few moments it was like something hit the Alpha and he gripped at the back of his neck. He looked confused briefly before he turned and raced out the door, most likely after Cassidy. I saw the fighter run after him; followed by the guy Cassidy had just finished whipping the floor with. I decided to run after them, just to make sure Cassidy was okay.  

As they were running through the town I saw the Alpha collapse onto the ground. He looked like he was going to pass out. His two pack members stopped at his aid but I kept running. If he was in pain, Cassidy was too. He was probably feeling her pain because he had no injuries. Then I heard a defensive growl come from just inside the woods to my right. I shifted and ran as fast as I could into them. I followed Cassidy's scent into a clearing where I saw Cassidy lying bloodied on the ground near a wolf who was being held off by Logan. Logan wasn't looking so good but I didn't have time to help him because Cassidy was in dire need of some medical attention. I shifted back to human and scooped her up into my arms; she must have changed back to human form after she was attacked and fatally injured. I tried not to look at her bare body.  

I ran back to my pack house was fast as I my legs would carry me. I had linked out pack doctor ahead of time to ready her for Cassidy. She needed help as soon as she could. Just as I reached the pack house I heard the shallow heart beat in Cassidy's chest go completely silent. I raced up the stairs and into our pack hospital wing where the doctor was waiting. I laid her on the table and started CPR, instructed by the doctor. When I told to stand back the doctor shocked Cassidy repeatedly. It was almost as if Cassidy didn't want to come back. It was the longest three minutes of my life. The alternation of CPR and defibrillation was painfully slow. There was no time to think about "what if's," only about saving her life.  

Then after three minutes I finally heard the sound of her heart beat on the monitor she was hooked up to. I let out a sigh of relief, but that was only half the battle. Cassidy was still losing to much blood, we had to stop the bleeding and fast or she would die... again. I was told to leave the room this time, as the doctor worked. 

It was another two hours before the doctor came out. I was told Cassidy was finally stable, but she had lost a lot of blood. She had been given several blood transfusions and they were waiting to see how she reacted to it still. But she was currently stable. All we could do now was wait and see if she pulled through this. 

If I knew Cassidy, she would make it. 

I hope...

___________________________

NEW FOLLOWER = NEW CHAPTER

VOTE

COMMENT

ENJOY:)

-Pluto