Chapter 81

She wasn't sure how long she'd been screaming. She wasn't sure how far Benjamin had fallen or traveled.

When Lainey finally stopped screaming, she heard the calming sound of running water.

She opened her eyes.

They were in a small clearing near a waterfall that seemed to be somewhere in the woods near Tuku Lake below the mountain.

Benjamin was staring down at her as he held her in his arms.

He smiled.

"You were really loud."

Lainey began slapping him with both hands.

"What-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you?" she shrieked. "I just told you I'm afraid of heights!"

Benjamin put Lainey on her feet.

"You're fine, I promise."

"Maybe so but my heart is freaking beating out of my chest!"

Benjamin's warm hand grabbed Lainey's and he placed it against his chest.

"Mine, too," he breathed.

Lainey could feel it.

Benjamin's heart was beating!

"Oh . . . oh my God," Lainey whispered. "Benjamin, your heart . . . it's beating." She looked at him. "How?"

"I've told you before . . . it's you, Lainey."

"B-But how? I'm not a witch or some . . . supernatural being that can heal the undead. I'm just a human girl."

Benjamin shook his head.

"No, you're much more than that. Before I met you, I was questioning what I've been running away from for sixty years. As the years passed, death seemed more and more like consolation. I was numb and on the brink of walking right into its arms. Then I met the girl that would change my life in so many ways. I met the girl that would make me feel again." He pointed to his hand. "Here," then he placed his hand over Lainey's, "and here."

That was when Lainey was reminded of why their "special day" existed at all. Benjamin's sense of touch and smell had returned the night they'd held each other in an embrace on her living room sofa. And he'd wanted to see if it would happen again.

"That's right," she whispered, staring him in the eye. "That's what this is all about, isn't?" She slowly pulled her hand away from Benjamin. "I'm happy for you," she said. "Really . . . I'm--"

Benjamin quickly took back her hand. He smiled.

"Your hands . . . they're so soft."

He leaned to kiss it. Lainey pulled Benjamin's jacket closed as she shivered yet again.

"Lainey, yes, today is about how you make me feel. Is that a bad thing?" He put a hand on her lower back and pulled her closer. "Is it a bad thing that you make me feel human again?" He leaned toward her neck and a second later Lainey felt his lips against it.

She exhaled and uttered something. At least she thinks she did. She heard her voice but what came out didn't make any sense.

His face was before hers once again. He clasped her face.

"Is it bad that you make me feel happy?"

Lainey wasn't sure if she was supposed to answer his questions. But she did know she was already desiring the feel of his soft lips again.

"Is it bad that you make me feel like living?"

Slowly, too slowly, Benjamin leaned closer to Lainey, his lips parting.